Stupid Brett Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrManifesto

Reaction score
so i'm drinking a jolly pumping weizenbam and i get the smart idea to harvest the brett from the bottle, use my handy stir plate to grow it up and then wash it for use later. stupid question is: while i know that i have to basically reserve a set of equipment (fermenter, tubing, bottle wand) for the brett beers, that doesn't include my flask, does it? boiling kills brett...right? i'm sure it does but i just need someone to tell me so. :eek:

i'm pretty sure boiling will sterilize and kill 99.99% of all micro-organisms. I'm sure Brett can't with stand 20+ minutes in boiling water and if it can it deserves to live lol

"I'm sure Brett can't with stand 20+ minutes in boiling water and if it can it deserves to live lol"

I'm down with that!! Made me laugh!

Yeah, I do beers with Bret in them and just clean everything with boiling water when done. I've even used the same fermenters after a use with bret yeast and never had any cross contamination (but I use old sankey kegs as fermenters and just put them on the burner with a few gallons of water in them for 30 minutes or so...nothing survives that).

A cooler full of bleach water works well for storing air locks, stoppers, hoses, vials, beakers, etc. I keep a lot of my stuff stored in a cooler like that 365 a year.

-K

i'm pretty sure boiling will sterilize and kill 99.99% of all micro-organisms. I'm sure Brett can't with stand 20+ minutes in boiling water and if it can it deserves to live lol

fun fact! the process of sterilization by boiling is called tyndallization and involves boiling, cooling for a day, boiling again, cooling again and boiling one more time. this allows spores to incubate in between boils to render them susceptible to the boiling process. by doing this three times (20 min boils) you can sterilize things without an autoclave or pressure cooker.

anyway, thanks for the reassurance, i just dumped it in and we'll see what happens! :tank:

Funny...looks like we're online at the same time. Those last two posts hit on the same minute!!

Cheers!

-Kev

"I'm sure Brett can't with stand 20+ minutes in boiling water and if it can it deserves to live lol"

I'm down with that!! Made me laugh!

Yeah, I do beers with Bret in them and just clean everything with boiling water when done. I've even used the same fermenters after a use with bret yeast and never had any cross contamination (but I use old sankey kegs as fermenters and just put them on the burner with a few gallons of water in them for 30 minutes or so...nothing survives that).

A cooler full of bleach water works well for storing air locks, stoppers, hoses, vials, beakers, etc. I keep a lot of my stuff stored in a cooler like that 365 a year.

-K

i ferment in buckets so not sure that would work for me? i may just buy another bucket and keep a rotating cast of sours going.

OT - i grew up in WA and lived in clear lake for awhile. it could qualify as "rat city" lulz

That's close enough. Rat City is a state of mind, you don't have to be in White Center to enjoy it...

Yeah, with anything plastic I would dedicate a vessel only to brett fermentations. Plastic buckets are cheap and it ain't worth the risk of ruining another beer later (though an unexpected sour never really bothered me much). LOL!

Man, I didn't look closely at where you are until now. You got about as far away from here as you could and still be in the same country. ? That's funny. I've got a buddy who went to high school two blocks from where I live right now and he lives in Easton, Maryland.

Michael Tonsmeir over at the madfermentationist uses the better beer bottle's with his funky and non funky bugs, he just soaks for a while in star-san I believe.
He does recommend using a different hose and auto-siphon between the two though.

JP has Pedio and Lacto too, not just Brett.

To eliminate Brett you need decent sanitation. I keep my fermenters filled with bleach, between, and, when not in use to eliminate ... well ... anything.

Anything with Lacto or Pedio, I use dedicated equipment. I don't know if it is absolutely necessary, but I'm not taking any chances. It is either dedicated or it's glass.

Back