Stunted yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugeaud

Reaction score
Is it possible for mead where it was exposed to very cold conditions (under 0 degrees Celsius) would continue fermenting but would be extremely slow fermenting? Because I think this is what happened to me lol. Been fermenting three months or something I forget but a bloody long time. The alcohol content is going up but at an extremely slow rate. Mind you I didn't use proper yeast nutrient to start off with and it was a traditional mead with no fruit that would provide nutrients. (chuck in raisins JAOM style nutrient is what I mean lol.) The fermentation was going extremely fast at the beginning. I probably won't do anything about it though, because while I have the chance, might as well see the effects on taste of the mead of long term fermentation.

Very cold conditions may have limited the growth initially and kept your yeast population lower, especially when combined with nutrient deficiency. A pH problem could also contribute to slow fermentation.

Back