Stunned!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
I'm just... stunned.

I just found out that my brew took First Place in the German Wheat and Rye Beer category (category 15) at the Orange County Fest of Ales!!

Specifically, I entered my beer in category 15A (Weizen/Weissbier).

I still almost don't believe it.

While I was hoping my beer would do well, since I've only been brewing since spring I was mainly entering the competition hoping to learn something from the judge's feedback.

Instead, I took First for category 15 and made it to the Best of Show round! So what if I didn't win Best of Show?! I was in the round!

I don't know how many entrants there were for category 15, but I do know that the competition as a whole drew over 175 entries, and there were enough in category 15 to award a First, two Seconds (I'm guessing a tie?) and a Third Place.

I wanted to take a moment and share this news with the community. This forum is fantastic. While I know there's a lot more to learn, I've learned a great deal here and you have all helped me become a much better brewer than I otherwise would have been.

I'll post the award-winning (I still can't get over that!) recipe in the recipes section of this forum when time permits.

What I can say now, though, is that this was a BIAB batch, so to my fellow BIAB brewers and to those considering it, one definitely can brew some very tasty beer utilizing this technique (as I'm sure many of you already know!). Also, special thanks go out to DeathBrewer for the sticky right here in this very forum. It was this sticky that encouraged me to start brewing utilizing the BIAB technique.

I guess my only regret is that the award-winning batch is now long gone, but I guess that means I'll just have to brew it again!

Once again, thanks to everyone on this forum, and if you're a newbie like me, stick around. The people here are the best!

CHEERS!!!
:mug:

Edit: The recipe has been posted on this forum.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/mozarts-award-winning-hefeweizen-433630/#post5532993

Congrats! I took a 3rd for one of my beers in the So CA Regional Championships back in June and can share in your feeling of being stunned.

Of course you know that you either share the recipe or send us each 2 bottles of your winning brew! :D

Of course you know that you either share the recipe or send us each 2 bottles of your winning brew! :D

I'll be posting the recipe later in the recipes section right here on this forum, but it was embarrassingly simple. 50/50 wheat/pilsner malt, BIAB mash, pour-over sparge, and a little hallertau and tettnang (pellet form) for bittering. The yeast was WLP300.

I'll be sure to post all the particulars later as I don't have my recipe or homebrew log with me at the moment.

Congrats man thats awesome, my Club Brewlumanti has several guys place as well.

-=Jason=-

Awwwweeesoooooooome! Congrats! Very, Very cool. How do you catch wind of competitions? I'm itching to post my own success story :)

Awwwweeesoooooooome! Congrats! Very, Very cool. How do you catch wind of competitions? I'm itching to post my own success story :)

Thanks!

The friend who got me into homebrewing told me about this particular competition, so that's how I learned of it.

There's a schedule of competitions available on the BJCP website (www.bjcp.org).

Back