Stuff I bought last night, drink up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Borracho

Reaction score
Alright so I've driven all over town looking for SN Celebration Ale.. I know the Winter Lager from SA is nothing like it.. I can't find the damn Celebration Ale!

I picked up a 12 pack of Sam Adams Winter Lager for 10.99 on sale, they are out of Oktoberfest which sucks because I wanted to stock up. My liquor store sells the 6 pack of Oktoberfest for 8.99! The Winter Lager was a nice brew, I get a little spice at the end of my sip but nothing crazy. I'm starting to think most of Sam Adams stuff is pretty much the same. I enjoyed the 'different' mouth feel, and the flavors, sweet aroma..It's not as exciting as they made it sound on the box. I'm going to see about the liquor store giving me some options for their Oktoberfest. I think one a day is good for me, so I need to find it cheaper than 9 bucks a 6!

I also picked up a 12 of Frankenskaner? Hefe-Weis.. It was a bit dryer than the Moosbacher Hefe I buy, with not so much if any clove in the nose, plenty of banana though. Good flavor, and coloring - but way different than the Moosbacher. I was a little grossed out by the slimy yeast particles - not all of it broke up so I got some booger like chunks. I can have these all day really, the Moosbacher's are TASTY/AWESOME but I can have a pint and that's it way too powerful aromas/flavors in comparison.

I also grabbed a 4 pack of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout.. I love stouts! The chocolate flavor was mild in the beer but a sip of the head really brought it out. I'm a stout man for sure. This was a really good beer.. But I can drink Guiness hot, on the beach, in 99F..

Anyone like Bodingtons Pub Ale? I really enjoy it. To me (I don't know much) it feels like a Stout but taste like an Ale.

I've been drinking a lot lately, I have a bunch of other crap to talk about.. Collected about 100+ bottles in the last 3 weeks :D I never do more than 3-4 a night..

Question, how should I be drinking this stuff? I pour everything into a glass now, and I give it a couple of minutes to settle. Everything seems to taste better..

Last night I had a winter lager, chocolate stout, winter lager, hefe, hefe.. After the stout everything seemed bland. Is there a way to drink different styles in a sitting that still lets the distinct styles show??

every bodingtons i have had tasted like green apple, and we all know what that means. acetaldehyde

Reverend JC said:
every bodingtons i have had tasted like green apple, and we all know what that means. acetaldehyde

Is that the pennies flavor I get? I thought it came from the can/co2 cartridge..

For hefe's you want the yeast in solution. Do one of 2 things.
1) Lay the bottle gently on its side and roll it until the yeast is in solution. Open and pour.
OR
2) Open and pour most of the bottle into your glass. Bring the bottle back to upright and swirl the yeast and beer around. Pour that into the glass.

Here's a vid. For my money he poured too much into the glass and didn't leave enough for the swirl

[youtube]QHq86UfK5Ic[/youtube]

olllllo said:
For hefe's you want the yeast in solution. Do one of 2 things.
1) Lay the bottle gently on its side and roll it until the yeast is in solution. Open and pour.
OR
2) Open and pour most of the bottle into your glass. Bring the bottle back to upright and swirl the yeast and beer around. Pour that into the glass.

Here's a vid. For my money he poured too much into the glass and didn't leave enough for the swirl

I had seen a video of someone else doing it, I pretty much pour half then swirl and pour. This had the normal 'dusty' yeast, but there was also like cake like chunks, almost krausen looking.

The second one I poured I shook the bottle before opening, let it settle in the fridge while I drank the first then opened it.. Still had the gooey bits, I just didn't drink the last ounce.

When I was in Germany the bartenders would turn the Hefe bottle completely into the glass and do a mini water cooler thing, gently raising the bottle allowing the glass to fill. Perfect head w/ no foam over at all.
AP

Celebration has been out for about a month, so it may be harder to find. It's also late in the year to find Oktoberfest beers on the shelves, and you'll always find that they are fairly expensive.

What the other guys said is the way to handle a good hefeweizen! :)

TL

El_Borracho said:
Is there a way to drink different styles in a sitting that still lets the distinct styles show??

Maybe do like the winos. Go from light to dark. You could also go from least bitter to most bitter. Drink some water in between styles and eat some pretzels to clean your palate. Just don't spit out your beer. When we go out wine tasting, we have a saying fo our group....."don't waste your taste!" - Dirk :mug:

Back