Student in PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eden192

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Eden and I'm a culinary student at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I'm just getting into home brewing (the last of my supplies are getting here tomorrow :) ) after deciding to brew some slightly fermented soda the other week. Anyways, I've been looking at several brewing forums and this one seems great. I'm really looking forward to starting my first brew in the next few days and I'm sure I'll be spending a good bit of time on these forums with random questions the first few brews. Thanks, in advance!

~Eden
:mug:

Welcome to the forums! This is definitely the place to get great information to make great beverages. :mug:

Welcome. Pittsburgh is fortunate to have two homebrew clubs to choose from (TRASH & TRUB) a number of local stores, some great places to drink craft beer, and some microbreweries.

Awesome. I'll have to look up both of those clubs and meet up with some of the locals once I get a brew or two under my belt. Also, I know this is a fairly random question, but is there a sticky thread, or any thread, explaining a few of the acronyms used on this forum that I don't recognize like RDWHAHB or SWMBO?

Relax. Don’t worry. Have a homebrew.

She who must be obeyed.

Welcome. Pittsburgh is fortunate to have two homebrew clubs to choose from (TRASH & TRUB) a number of local stores, some great places to drink craft beer, and some microbreweries.

Which local store(s) do you use?

I'm out east, so i tend to use South Hills Brewing Monroeville location. (Dave there is a knowledgeable brewer and has always given me good advice, although for some reason he is anti-wyeast.) It's also conveniently located near D's Dogz & Draft which always has a nice selection on tap and in the coolers.
Also 'house of a 1000 beers' towards New Ken is worth a trip for buying individual bottles. Great Belgian selection, and their bottle prices are extremely reasonable.
I'll also give a shout to East End Brewing, pittsburghs micro-est brewery. Despite the neighborhood, its worth getting a growler to go.

Welcome! Glad to see another Pittsburgh homebrewer!

"House of 1000 Beers" is definitely the palce to go; fantastic selection with very reasonable prices.

I'm out east, so i tend to use South Hills Brewing Monroeville location. (Dave there is a knowledgeable brewer and has always given me good advice, although for some reason he is anti-wyeast.) It's also conveniently located near D's Dogz & Draft which always has a nice selection on tap and in the coolers.
Also 'house of a 1000 beers' towards New Ken is worth a trip for buying individual bottles. Great Belgian selection, and their bottle prices are extremely reasonable.
I'll also give a shout to East End Brewing, pittsburghs micro-est brewery. Despite the neighborhood, its worth getting a growler to go.

I'll have to check out South Hills Brewing. I'm a big fan of D's coolers.

I went to South Hills Brewing to pick up some of my initial supplies. The guys I talked to were really knowledgeable and answered most my questions before I could even ask them. I also went by Triangle Supplies in the Strip District because it's a mile from both my house and school and the owner there was really great for advice and for discussing with me more of the process of the how and why brewing works, rather than just a "follow these steps and get an end product."
I'll have to check out "House of a 1000 Beers." The place sounds great. Normally I just hit the bars in Lawrenceville since they're within walking distance. New Amsterdam on Butler St has a decent selection with a friendly staff.

growing up i never knew there were all these great beer places in Pittsburgh. Now i really cant wait to move back to the burg!

Back