Stuck sparge on wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsonderek

Reaction score
I don't have one,just trying to avoid it. I always do this--I go to order my ingredients and for whatever reason I forget to add the rice hulls to my order. It's Sunday, I have to start brewing at like 9am cause I have other plans later, and the LHBS doesn't open til 12. Instead of rice hulls, its my understanding just keeping the temp up and above 160° (preferably right at 168-170) when lautering will be enough to deal with the glucans in the mash and hopefully prevent a stuck sparge...correct?

It depends a lot on the ratio of base grains and wheat or flaked grains. What's your grain bill looking like?

The other option is to use a higher amount of strike water for a thinner overall mash. If it is starts to stick...stir it back up. It's a wheat beer so cloudiness isn't a big deal.

6 row will also help vs. 2 row. the conversion is 10% more 6 row than 2 row typically. The 6 row has larger husks and REALLY helps when making wheat or pumpkin beers if you have no rice hulls.

Didn't get a chance to respond guys but all went well. I went up in the 1.75 qt/lb range and had no stuck sparge. That's a fun fact I didn't know about the 6 row btw. It was a Dunkelweizen I brewed and its lookin and smellin great thus far!

Back