Stuck Russian imperial next steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRedIROC

Reaction score
So I started my RIS at an 1.117 OG. Pitched white labs English dry yeast (under pitched with only 2 packs due to some incorrect gravity assumption) and 3 weeks later measured the gravity at 1.048. Direct pitched a pack of S05 and raised the temp 66 to 70. Measured after a week and movement still 1.048. what next? I am thinking about a half gallon starter of the English dry yeast. Any other suggestions?

Champeign yeast or Scottish ale yeast. You need something with a much higher alcohol tolerance, and pitch a huge starter

Pitch ec1118 and I bet that 1.048 will come down to 1.020 or lower however 1118 burns really dry so you may want to take a gravity and taste test every 24-48 hrs and be ready to cut it early via cold crash or fining just in case

Well, you seriously underpitched. Mrmalty says you should have used almost 5 packs. At the 1.048 where you are now it is still calling for 2 packs or a 1 liter starter.

You are now at a little over 9% ABV. I would choose a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance, build a good starter and hope for the best. It won't go as low as an average ale, but should go quite a bit lower.

Any time I make a RIS I always use yeast that has been harvested through 2-3 generations.....makes a huge difference.

Also, another strategy would be to leave it as is....... 1.048 is actually right in the wheel house of where a lot of the big RIS's are at (Dark Lord, Toppling Goliath Stouts, etc.) Often these beers are barrel aged and you want high FG to blend with the way the barrel can sort of "thin" the beer out.

I would worry at some point, you are either going to ruin what you have by dumping too much yeast and starter cultures in it, or, you might "succeed" with something like champagne yeast and end up with a 1.010-1.015 beer that is really thin and harsh.

So, one alternative would be to add a good dose of charred oak cubes and let it sit for 2-3 months. Could also add coffee beans for a short time (12-18 hours is all) before moving to a serving keg off the beans.... those things actually play very well with a RIS in the 1.04 range.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice guys. I missed the thread about pitching on an existing yeast cake. Think I will give that a shot with my 1.070 IPA and see if I can get it a little lower (not too worried about the hop content). I would like to get it in the 20's but if not possible I'll go coffee or bourbon cubed.

So I tried racking the RIS on top of my California V yeast cake of my last ipa. Not ideal but didn't think the hop would cut through. I did start the fermentation back up. Waited week and only got it down to a 1.044. Any other thoughts on getting another 10 points out of it? I couldn't find anything online about other breweries having anything above a 1.030. just worried it's so far out of the style range.

I like the coffee bean idea if I'm out of luck. Does the coffee bean work better than cold brew?

Forgot to mention I have looked into adding champagne yeast but looks like mixed reviews if it will lower the gravity or not.

Back