Stuck lager or Laaglander?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a lager (Harp Clone) right now, and it seems to be stuck. I've had it up in the 65 degree range for the last 4 days for a diacetyl rest, and although some of the diacetyl is gone, the gravity is stuck at 1.024 with fallen krausen and no detectable airlock activity. I used 3 lbs of Briess DME (I think-- I got it off a friend who was moving) and 3 lbs of Laaglander extra light DME.

The question is, do I have a stuck fermentation, or is the Laaglander really that unfermentable? FG should be around 1.012, so I'm about 3/4 of the way there with Saflager S-23 yeast. Do I raise the temperature and see what I get?

Its been fermenting for a total of 8 days now (I know, its not very long). The initial fermentation was at the optimal for the yeast at 52 deg and I had a pretty vigorous early fermentation. I took a gravity reading after 4 days because I saw things start to slow, and I was at 75% of the FG, so I went ahead on the rest at 65 degrees and have been there for 4 days now.

Levers101 said:
The question is, do I have a stuck fermentation, or is the Laaglander really that unfermentable? FG should be around 1.012, so I'm about 3/4 of the way there with Saflager S-23 yeast. Do I raise the temperature and see what I get?

I would say it is way to early to be thinking you have a stuck fermentation especially with a lager. My advice would be to forget about it for a few weeks and go fishing.

My last lager (which used Saflager 23) fermented 75% of the way in a week and took three more weeks to finish.

Back