Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaves

Reaction score
Making an imperial ale, of 1.100. From days 1-4 sg dropped to 1.037 then stopped. Initial ferm temp was 63 F. I tried a heating belt and re pitching yeast. During my mash my temp did get a little too high (unfortunately into 170s doing BIAB) so I even added some Amylase enzyme and still no change. Am I stuck at a 1.037 or am I missing something?

What yeast strain(s) did you use?
What did your mash temperature profile look like? (ie: if you spend 20 minutes or so in the mid-150s that would imply a different dextrin content vs 170-ish)...

Cheers!

Us-05, I started mash around 154, left it for about 30 min cane back and it was in the 170, got it to drop back down a bit into the 160/50s

I added a heating belt two days ago, pitched half of a us05 packet 1 day ago (1.5 gal batch), and added amylase enzyme 14 hours ago and no change at all

Tough to call this one - the 30 minutes between 154° and 170s suggests a likely shift towards dextrins. Considering a 100 point beer and a realistic FG around 1.030 for that yeast strain under less challenging conditions might mean it's done or very nearly so...

From what I read isn’t the point of amylase to cut that down?

It may be that your mash got a little high, but I'm not an expert by any means. US05 should be able to handle the alcohol no problem (I think it's tolerance is 11-12%).

You've already done everything I'd have suggested. I'd leave it another week, have a couple beers, then check FG for a final time and package.. and enjoy a slightly sweet/full bodied hammer of a beer.

From what I learned liquid amalyse such as ultra ferm by white labs is the way to go in this instance. That being said I have another beer to brew for a competition aaaasnd I kinda want my tilt back. So instead of worrying about it I’m gonna Hut it with some biofine for clarity ( I forgot my whirlflock) let it sit two weeks and then let it bottle age a a month or 2, it still hit 8% so we’ll see ‍♂️

Latest posts

Back