Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavzilla

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've spent the last few days sifting through all the interesting stuff on here, and figured it was time to say Hi. :D

I also figured I may as well start with a question - I've currently got a 20L barrel of cider on the go. I started it off three days ago, mixing cloudy juice with dextrose, honey and champagne yeast. Initial gravity was around 1.055. But probably higher with the current temperature. When I put it together, it was about 34C outside, and it has stayed fairly warm since. So it was bubbling like crazy for the first couple of days.

It now seems to have rapidly stopped almost completely. Will adding any more yeast at this point be an option? Or should I give it a while longer to see how it progresses?

I'm fairly new to cider making, having only done a couple of barrels, and would appreciate any help!

Look forward to trying out some of the recipes here!
Cheers,
Gav.

Wow, back to 1.000 SG already... I'm a bit surprised, but it's great news.

Not sure it's such a good thing that it fermented so quickly, but we'll see how it goes in the next stage. Thanks!

Back