Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain Watney's Cream Stout clone with OG of 1.040 (which was lower than the 1.047 predicted). It's had enough time to ferment fully, but it's very sweet, and the FG is 1.028 (above the expected 1.012). I did include 10 oz of maltodextrine, as the recipe called for, in this 5 gallon batch.

But it's so sweet! Should I take it out of the kegerator and give it more time at a warm temperature - I'm wondering if it didn't actually finish fermenting in my not-especially-warm house.

Any ideas?:mug:

I'm thinking I'd probably do like you suggest and give it some more time with a little warmer temps...

What yeast did you use? I just had a similar situation where I _thought_ I had a decent ale fermenting temp, but it turned out the yeast I used likes temps a bit higher... I'm hoping it's now finishing up at said temps.

Your beer will be great for the drivers... I've got a similar issu last month, the OG was little off 1.052 (insted of 1.056), but the FG was worst 1.024 (supposed to be 1.014), but the beer taste great, so I didn't complain an took it as it was...

Thanks to Riopel and Stratslinger. I've pulled it out of the kegerator and will warm it up for a couple weeks, letting a little pressure off now and again if it builds. I checked my notes and did a little more research and was off on my gravities. OG was actually 1.060, and current gravity is 1.026. If I understand correctly that's a little over 50% attenuation, and I should shoot for about 75%. If this is also a misunderstanding, please let me know! It'll be good beer either way, but at the moment it's almost like a black port! As the younguns say, 'It's all good.'

Latest posts

Back