Stuck fermentation with Bell's yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymark

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of a 2 Hearted clone brewed 2/9 with OG 1.065. I think that my fermentation may be stuck on one carboy. They both have been 64-68 F the entire time. I pitched one with wyeast 1968 and the other with a cultured Bell's yeast. The 1968 finished days ago at 1.017 (high for 2H, but expected for 1968). I pitched a decanted 2L starter of the Bell's yeast (the starter actually blew out) in the other carboy. I aerated with aquarium pump and stone. The carboy Krausened hard for 3 days with a blow out. It seemed like fermentation was near done and I racked to secondary for dry hopping w/o checking gravity first (big mistake). Checked gravity after transfer and the gravity is at 1.040. Should I see more that a bubble every 1.5 minutes in an S-type airlock? or is a slow fermentation to be expected with the Bell's yeast? I am thinking about adding some S-05. Should I re-aerate if I do, or will this cause oxidation?

I also have some of the Bell's yeast that I saved in the fridge. I could make a new 2 l starter, decant and repitch with that or instead add a slurry of 2 packs of S-05.

First and foremost, DO NOT, I repeat, do not watch airlock bubbles to gain information about fermentation.

Second, what was your process of harvest? Bell's yeast is pretty active stuff, I think it's basically wy 1272. I've always had great, fast attenuation with harvested Bell's. But.... you have to baby harvested yeast. Small (like 250 ml) starter, low gravity (like 1.020) for the first step, 500 ml of 1.020 for the second, 500 ml of 1.040 for the third, then finally a 1 L of 1.04. Then, that yeast should be good to pitch into the starter used for the brew.

I know that watching air bubbles is a total noob mistake. I have been out of the AG brewing scene for 12 years and have forgotten some of the finer details. At least half this batch in good to go and is dry hopping right now. I probably didn't have enough of the Bell's yeast. Should I pitch more of the Bell's yeast to help this batch along or just wait.

My last batch was a 2H clone using Bell's harvested yeast. It took a solid 7-10 days to get from 1.062 to 1.006 at 65 degrees. I would let it sit for a couple days and see if your gravity moves. If it's still stuck, I would consider re-pitching. Although, a 2l started should have been plenty of yeast.

I know that watching air bubbles is a total noob mistake. I have been out of the AG brewing scene for 12 years and have forgotten some of the finer details. At least half this batch in good to go and is dry hopping right now. I probably didn't have enough of the Bell's yeast. Should I pitch more of the Bell's yeast to help this batch along or just wait.

I wasn't trying to bust your balls or anything. Just a standard response I give when I see airlock and bubbles in the same sentence.

As for harvesting, always baby the dregs you pull out of the bottle. Step them up slowly, and when in doubt, step up again. I have a buddy, very good brewer, who's having the same issue with harvested yeast. It happens.

Years ago when I was talking to one of the brewers at Bell's, he said their house yeast is 1056. Just FYI.

I could see that. Later generations of chico get more fruity, IME. I base the 1272 comparison on the nutty flavor I get from it and Bell's. I've been meaning to split a batch; half 1272, half Bell's to compare ever since we were discussing what strain it may be on the Bell's yeast harvest thread.... but other projects pushed it to the back of my mind. :mug:

Latest posts

Back