Stuck fermentation, or just typical 71B-1122?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domingo

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I've got a 25 gallon batch of cyser going (yes, 25) in primary. The OG was about 1.095 or so, and I pitched five packets 71B-1122 along with a premade starter gallon. To my delight, fermentation got off to a nice, fast start.

However, the activity has slowed down pretty obviously, and specific gravity has stuck around 1.031 for two or three days. Yesterday I stirred/oxygenated it but gravity hasn't changed in those 24 hours.

I've been considering adding yeast energizer. Thoughts on this? I've never used 71B-1122 before but I understand it can be really slow (especially at 60F, which is my fermentation temperature). I'm not worried about speed. Just want to help the yeast if it needs helping.

You might want to try giving it a good stir, that can help get things going again. Good luck.

I thought as much. I stirred aggressively on 11/6 and 11/7. Today I added some yeast energizer and stirred aggressively again since gravity hadn't changed since 11/3. I assume 1122 can get it past the ABV it's stuck at right now. We'll see!

Can you check the ph? If that is too low it can stress the yeast. Calcium carbonate would help if that is the case.

Yeah 4.0 is just fine for pH. I used 1122 on my last batch. OG 1.141 and it finished at 1.036 (13.99 ABV) I've not used this yeast before but I know it will get real close to 14%. Has activity stopped? I have one batch with 1118 that has been going for two and a half months and there's still a slight bit of fermentation going on.

It's still actively fermenting. Not a lot of foam bubbling every so often. It's pretty cold in my fermentation room (most of my cider I do at cold temperature so...). I think right now it's in the 10% range. It's way too sweet at 1.030. I'm happy to let it keep sitting as long as that's standard with 1122, which it sounds like it is.

Thanks for help/input y'all, I really appreciate it.

FWIW, 3 Tbsp of yeast energizer over the past three days moved it from 1.032 to 1.019.

FWIW, 3 Tbsp of yeast energizer over the past three days moved it from 1.032 to 1.019.

Minor quibble, but in general, folks refer to the yeast as 71b ;)

On another note, did you do any other nutrient additions previously? 71b needs the nitrogen to wrap up. It does start to fart around eventually, but your OG wasn't that high.

Quibbles are fine.

I added yeast nutrient a few times during the fermentation besides the last few tablespoons. I think I started it around 10/18.

It's definitely a slow fermenter compared to other wine yeasts I've used. Ramping up the temperature a bit might help kickstart it too.

Back