Stuck fermentation on a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doithead

Reaction score
Hi guys,

this is my first post. I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong forum. I am not a beginner - I started kit brewing back in 1994, then moved into original extract recipes and brewed some great beer. I bought an old frig, cornelius kegs and started lagering, kegging...then I started brewing all-grain beers. I was never a great troubleshooter, but I brewed up outstanding beer.

Due to a move, a marriage, two kids, etc., I all but stopped this awesome hobby/way of life. Well, I decided that I was getting back into it and brewed an extract Munich Dunkel one week ago today (Tuesday, Jan 6.).

Here are my problems: A) being rusty, I didn't have my thermometer so I don't know the temp when I pitched the yeast (although i am positive that the temp was not too high - on the contrary it might have been too cold); b) I used a wyeast activator munich lager yeast strain, but did not make a starter; c) because I don't know the temp, i could not get an accurate OG reading on the hydrometer, but it read 1.057 or so (too high for the style, i believe); and d) I am using an ale pail for the primary, and I think the lid won't seal well, because the lock never showed any activity

It has been fermenting at approx. 52-55 degrees since pitching. Although there is no lock activity, I removed the lid after 72 hrs and saw activity. Last night I took a hydrometer reading and it read about 1.038 at 52 degrees. There was still a foam on the top, and it smelled good - no sourness or rotten egg smell, so I don't think it's ruined.

This is what I did - this morning (about an hour ago) I agitated the bucket for a minute or so (by moving it around - I didn't open the lid), then I moved it to a warmer space (temp in that closet is 72-74 degrees).

What do I do? I have a packet of Saflager w34-70 in the frig, and I have a wyeast bavarian lager activator pack in there as well. Do I pitch more yeast? Did I screw up by moving it to a warm space? Should I rack it to a secondary when the gravity is still so high?

HELP!!! (I only remembered how good the beers tastes - I forgot about the anxiety. I need to channel my inner Papazian!)

Sorry for the long first post. I hope to be back in force. I brewed a german pils last night, and I had my thermometer and my yeast starter this time! Even had my wort chiller that I built last weekend!:)

Hi,

Here's kind of a long reply for your long post.

One week isn't really long enough. It will get there, but it's just going to take more time. Lagers I just try to forget about for 2-3 weeks.

Ignore the airlock activity. The colder beer will retain more co2, and the yeast are working more slowly at the lower temperature. Don't worry about whether it's stuck or done until the gravity hasn't changed for 3 consecutive days.

At this point, if it hasn't warmed up too much yet, I would put it back in the fridge and work it back down to the original fermentation temperature over a couple of days.

If it gets stuck and you need to pitch more yeast, make sure you use a starter and that the new yeast are actively fermenting. Otherwise they'll probably won't do anything.

Back