Stuck Fermentation-Beano/Amylase Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an issue. I brewed a 10gal batch of beer using Wyeast's 3522 on 5/8 that started at about 1.060 and was supposed to finish at 1.010-1.015. I pitched a big enough starter according to Mr. Malty and aerated my wort with both a spray tip and an oxygenation wand. Fermentation temperature started at 68 but I ramped it up to 72 after two days. for the past week or so, it has been stuck at about 1.030. I increased the fermentation temperature to 74, gave the fermenter a swirl, and pitched another yeast starter. However, it is still stuck. As a result, I would really like to try to save this one, but my understanding is that adding beano will bring the gravity down to 1.000. I have heard about people blending beers to bring the gravity down, so I had a thought: Currently, my wort is split into two carboys. What if I added beano to one of them and let it ferment out, racked them both to secondary in different receptacles, cold crashed them with gelatin to pull the rest of the yeast out of suspension, and then blended them afterwards, thereby preventing the beano from having the effect it did on the other part of the batch? Thanks for your help!

It might work if you keg but if you bottle I would think the Beano would still be present and would continue to ferment in the bottle.:mug:

You may have pitched a wee bit too warm, or your infusion was much higher than your reading indicated... Did you make a starter? Without a starter my Mr Malty says 2.25 packs per carboy...

There's also the issue of how well your yeast was handled from the LHBS to your place... (This is why I make a starter)...

Interested in trying brett? Might chew on the rest of those sugars but will provide some funk (which may or may not be desirable in your case). Also, might take some time to finish.

Back