Stuck Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Been a long time home brewer and just started trying out some meads. Did a couple that turned out very well, but this most recent batch will not ferment past 1.100. Original Gravity was 1.144 and I pitched yeast back on 10/1. I admit, it has been somewhat neglected and it probably should have been racked a month ago.

Here was my procedure: I rehydrated 2 packs of D-47 w/ Go-Ferm protect and did staggered nutrient additions of ~3g of Fermaid O on days 2, 4 and 6. I basically assumed that it was all done fermenting and was extremely confused to see that it has only fermented about 1/3 of the way about month after pitching. Temps have been in the mid 60s pretty much since I originally made the mead. I wouldn't think that's too low for D-47, but could the temp be an issue?

I have been throwing in just about everything I can think of to try to jumpstart fermentation, but nothing seems to work. So far, I have repitched w/ EC1118 (also rehydrated w/ go-ferm), that hasn't done anything. Next, I added some Fermaid K (about 5 grams) and that has not done anything. So just today, I added another 5 grams of Fermaid K along with about a teaspoon of LD Carlson yeast nutrient (food grade urea and DAP) and hit it with a degassing rod. I am desperate at this point. What else can I do to get this thing going?

Latest posts

Back