stuck counterflow - boil kettle issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinkibbleZ

Reaction score
i recently jumped up to the all grain world, but am having problems with my counterflow getting clogged.

i have a bleichman cf chiller, and a converted keggle with a dip tube.

i have tried putting the pellet hops in fine mesh bags, but the hopes get out anyways, picked up by the dip tube and then clog the CF.

i have put a screen over the diptube, but would rather figure out a solution before i have tons of issues with another batch. i am not fully confident that this mesh screen (which isnt even as fine as the bags) will stop any of the hops from clogging the CF.

are my choice simply to just use whole hops so i dont have the mess of pellet hop particles everywhere? or is there some step that i am missing somewhere?

thanks for any help or related articles you guys know about.

Try installing a hop screen on the end of your dip tube. There are plenty of write ups here on that

thanks for the reply. i know there are lots of write ups, i couldnt find something within a reasonable amount of time that satisfied my question.

i mentioned in my description that i have put a "hop screen" over the dip tube, but i just have a hard time believing that this screen with is made of a more course mesh than the fine mesh bags (that dont hold pellet hops) will be of much use stopping the hops from getting into the CF.

i could be wrong, it just doesnt make much sense to me. i would like to know specifically what others have done to solve a similar issue that they know works, so i can proceed with a bit of confidence.

thanks for letting me know there are other post out there though.

i know bobby m has a video on his youtube channel about using 30/30 mesh and making a large surface area dip tube screen.

i think the folding over aspect as well as the large surface area will help out alot.

mind you i'm a super newb, but this is just what i have learned from this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back