Stuck Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradactal

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I have a stuck fermenter and I need some help deciding how to move forward. I brewed an all grain Belgian Tripel. Its been in the primary for 13 days stuck at 1.037 (6.3 brix). OG was 1.079. I originally made a starter using Lallemond Abbaye at 1.7L using 5.89oz of DME using the shake method> This is where I think I went wrong. I let the starter go only 12 hours. Anyway, Im stuck and Im trying to get down to 1.008. Beginning of fermentation was very healthy with a blow off tube at 68-72*. I cooled down the best i could in an ice bath to keep it near 67. I have since built a fermentation chamber and it is sitting in there stuck holding at 67*. My question, I have 2 more packs of the same yeast in the mail. The website suggests i packet needed for the current gravity. Should I make another starter with 1 packet? Im not sure if the current alcohol level affects yeast being pitched. Should I make a starter based on OG (1.079) or current gravity (1.037). Or just rehydrate or sprinkle on top. Its been stuck now for about 5 days. Never had a stuck fermenter. I also now have a stir plate.

Abbaye is a dry yeast and the lallemand data sheet for it specifically says not to create a starter as it may reduce the viability of the yeast, i am guessing that is the cause of your stuck fermentation. Belgian yeasts also like it pretty warm and prime fermentation rate goes up to 77 for this variety so I wouldn't stress the chill/ice bath in the future. For trying to push through the rest of the ferment you should definitely not do another starter. Personally I would just sprinkle another pack on top. 90% of my brews are different lallemand dry yeasts and every single one has been a sprinkle on top and have performed as expected.

data sheet I mentioned earlier... Abbaye datasheet

Abbaye is a dry yeast and the lallemand data sheet for it specifically says not to create a starter as it may reduce the viability of the yeast, i am guessing that is the cause of your stuck fermentation. Belgian yeasts also like it pretty warm and prime fermentation rate goes up to 77 for this variety so I wouldn't stress the chill/ice bath in the future. For trying to push through the rest of the ferment you should definitely not do another starter. Personally I would just sprinkle another pack on top. 90% of my brews are different lallemand dry yeasts and every single one has been a sprinkle on top and have performed as expected.

data sheet I mentioned earlier... Abbaye datasheet
This was the direction I was planning on going. Thank you!! The reason I had originally created a starter was to get the yeast cell count up and not use 2 packets. Is this not correct? I did read the recommended pitch rate was 2 packets for my beer. soooo, no starter for dry yeast? I was more or less trying to keep my costs down, but an extra $5 isn't worth what Im dealing with..

You got a lot of activity at the beginning and that sounds like a good fermentation. When I get that happening, I don't even check it for three weeks and it's always done. The OG isn't killer high so it didn't overwhelm the yeast. As mentioned above, gotta make sure the measurements are accurate.
Could be you stopped fermentation with the ice bath (as mentioned above) though that yeast should still ferment at that temp.
In any case, make sure you're on the same page as far as correct gravity. If it is stuck, I'd just sprinkle the new yeast on and close it up and use a middling temperature.
I hope whatever you do ends up working out for you.

So, I think I did my brix conversion wrong somehow. I used the Northern Brewer post fermentation brix to gravity calculator. I think I entered wrong info in. I just took a hydrometer reading and it is 1.008. Right where I was trying to get to. So. guess the error was on my part. Guess I have 2 packets of yeast to throw in the fridge for another brew. Ive never used this yeast before, but I will say, I am very pleased. Thanks all for the feedback!!

Back