Stuck 1335?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthGoose

Reaction score
I brewed a Surly Bender last Sunday and pitched a 1.8L starter of 1335 made from a fresh packet on Monday morning. OG was 1057 so I was expecting something in the 1.014-1.016 range. It took off quickly and the airlock was going crazy for the first 3 days. When I went to bed on Tuesday night it was bubbling happily, when I woke it had stopped completely. This is the first time I'd used this yeast so I decided not to worry about it. The thick creamy krausen stayed on top for two days and was almost all fallen in this morning.

Temp at pitch was 70F, fermented around 72, but dropped back down to 70 the morning it stopped. It's gotten colder here and now the fermometer is down to 66F. I know it may be some temp shock, but I was also thinking since it is so flocculant, it may just need roused and kept temperature stable to go back to work and finish off the last points.

I'm not too worried yet, I'll take another hydro again tomorrow to see if it's just creeping through the last couple points.

What is your current gravity? I see what you wanted to acheive, but not where you are at. Besides, if its only been fermenting for 3 days, you are hardly at the point where you should be thinking "stuck."

Sorry, meant to say I took a sample and it was at 1.022. I think my real question is if 1335 is so flocculant that I should expect to have to rouse it. I was mostly taken aback by how quicky it went from roaring along to no visible activity.

Just took another hydro sample and I'm still sitting at 1.022. The temperature here has continued to drop and my fermometer is reading around 64-65. I roused the yeast gently on Friday but I'm going to try it again, the temperature flux may have put them to sleep for a little while.

Is there anything else I should consider or just rouse and wait?

Edit: I just tried to rouse it by swirling the fermenter, but the yeast cake seems to be packed so tightly that nothing came off that I could see. No little swirls of yeast going back into solution.

Gravity is still 1.022 today.

I'm thinking of pitching a pack of notty to finish it off if it's still there in a day or two.

Has anyone had this yeast restart itself?

I ended up pitching a pack of notty rehydrated as per the instruction on the packet on Tuesday night. Temp ~68F, no visible activity. I'm going to let it go over the weekend and take another sample and see if it's moved any.

Back