Strong yeast flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking_Brewing

Reaction score
Hello, I'm very new to home brewing and I've only made beer a couple times. Now I'm on my first batch of Mead. I have two going in separate pales which started at slightly different SGs. One was about 12% the other 11%. The 12% is down to essentially 0% so it should be about done. But the 11% is only at about 3.5%. I used the same materials just one ended up with a little bit more honey. Is that normal? My other concern is that the 12% which seems to be done, tastes and smells very yeasty in a bad way. It tastes alright, a little watery, but like a traditional Mead. But the yeast smell and taste is quite overpowering. Can this be addressed when i move it to the carboy? Sorry, I'm quite a rookie.

From what I've read about mead, it will probably will take a while for it to clear up. Just give it some time.

Also are you just measuring using the potential alcohol on the hydrometer?

Give it months.

My mead experience is two 1 gallon batches of JAOM.

2months to clear each time.

My guess is, that may be a reasonable time-frame for more refined mead to clear. I'm sure the smart mazers in the mead forum will have the right answers for you.

18 days seems a very short time to be concerning yourself with a lack of clarity.

From what I've read about mead, it will probably will take a while for it to clear up. Just give it some time.

Also are you just measuring using the potential alcohol on the hydrometer?

I'm just using a hydrometer, and I've been factoring in temp. I'm also wondering if carbonation can interfere with hydrometer readings. The one that's going slower has alot more natural carbonation

Give it months.

My mead experience is two 1 gallon batches of JAOM.

2months to clear each time.

My guess is, that may be a reasonable time-frame for more refined mead to clear. I'm sure the smart mazers in the mead forum will have the right answers for you.

18 days seems a very short time to be concerning yourself with a lack of clarity.

Ok sounds good. When should I move it to the secondary?

I agree. The fact that the yeast has converted all the sugar to alcohol does not in fact mean that the fermentation is truly finished. You may want to rack that batch into a sanitized container and allow the batch to quietly age another 2 or 3 months, rack again and allow it to age another 3 months .

The batch that seems to have stalled - I would take an hydrometer reading in another few days and if there is no sign that the mead is actively fermenting I would stir air into the batch (you could also rack that batch into a sanitized container or take a rod and stir it to incorporate air into the mead). I would then add some nutrient...

Back