strong ethynol smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle a beer today, however I had a question and maybe you know what could have happened. When I opened the primary fermenter to test the FG before bottling, I noticed a STRONG aroma of ethynol. It smelled like vodka almost. I know that my SG was ~1.060 so it won't be over 6.5%, so I really don't know why it smells so strongly. I didn't dry hop it or anything. It's on its 14th day of fermentation. Also I read chapter 22 in Palmer's book How to Brew (Is my beer ruined?) and didn't really find anything significant as to why it smelled this way. Do you know what could have happened or if this is normal?

Thanks

Well my first thoughts are this:

1. when you first open the primary after its finished, you're smelling a TON of fermentation byproducts including CO2 (a very bitter/acrid smell that'll take your breath away...literally!)

2. 70-72 could be on the warm side if your room is that temperature, since fermentation creates heat your primary is often 2-6 degrees warmer than ambient temperatures.

3. ethanol is the type of alcohol we are trying to make (vs. methanol or another 'dangerous' alcohol)...

Honestly I think you have a young brew that smells young and will age out just fine. RDWHAHB

ingredients, process, yeast, fermentation, timeline; as vodka is actually odorless, more information is needed . . . please post!

ingredients, process, yeast, fermentation, timeline; as vodka is actually odorless, more information is needed . . . please post!

6 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
1.5 lbs grains (carapils, crystal 10, belgian wheat 0.5 lbs each)
3 oz hops with <7% AA (no dry hopping)
Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Witbier)

Boiled 60 mins, chilled in tub of ice (very minimal amount of exposing wort to oxygen prior to aerating it)

I keep everything very sanitary, so I am really unsure that that would be a problem.

It's on the 14th day of fermentation in the primary fermenter. I like bottle fermenting for about 1.5-2 months.

And when I smell vodka, it gives off a strong alcohol smell, just like this beer. It smelled even like everclear when I opened the lid.

A lot of mine are like that and taste as if Im having a chaser of vodka after each drink. It mellows out with more aging, a lot. Let it sit and try weekly.

I'm going to bottle a beer today, however I had a question and maybe you know what could have happened. When I opened the primary fermenter to test the FG before bottling, I noticed a STRONG aroma of ethynol. It smelled like vodka almost. I know that my SG was ~1.060 so it won't be over 6.5%, so I really don't know why it smells so strongly. I didn't dry hop it or anything. It's on its 14th day of fermentation. Also I read chapter 22 in Palmer's book How to Brew (Is my beer ruined?) and didn't really find anything significant as to why it smelled this way. Do you know what could have happened or if this is normal?

Thanks

Every brew I've done smells like that when you pull the cover off the ferment bucket. Very strong alcohol smell. You will notice the smell will disapate in a few min. I always thought it was just the alcohol that had evaporated and filled the headspace of the fermentor. Never had any issues. It will be fine.

edit. I did notice however that since i've been fermenting int the low 60's for my ales and in the high 40's and low 50's for my lagers I don't notice that as much anymore. FWIW

Back