Strong banana and clove flavor in my hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjhW

Reaction score
I recently brewed a hefeweizen using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephen Weizen yeast. I used my temperature controlled fridge and fermented it at 68F. It came out with strong banana and clove flavors which is typical for the yeast strain. All of the commercial hefeweizens that I have tried have not such a strong banana and clove flavor to them. Is there a better yeast strain I can try to produce a good hefeweizen with reduced banana and clove flavor?

There are a few other Bavarian wheat yeasts out there, some are less banana and more clove, or muted on both. I happen to like WLP351 a lot, as it is low in banana, and has a nice phenolic tone.

Fermented on the low side of the scale tends to inhibit the banana side, and allow the clove to come through (e.g. 62-63 F). Going high end of the range is more banana esters. (e.g. 68-70F).

Also, pitching rate may have a strong impact on the flavor, although I cannot remember which way over-pitching goes, vs. under-pitching.

As a final suggestions, WLP320 is reported to be very light on the banana & clove, but I have not tried that one yet. Worth reading up on though... :)
-LexusChris

i just read the yeast book and am embarrassed to say i can't think of the answer to that either, lexus :)

i believe, though, that pitch rate has a bigger effect on phenolics (clove here) and temp on esters (banana here), but someone please smack me if wrong.

i use wyeast 3333 in my fruit wheat beer and get neither of these characteristics.

Back