Stroh's .... PBR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun12

Reaction score
Hi all.
What I'm wanting to do, is to find a recipe for a brew that would be similar to Stroh's, PBR, Rolling Rock etc. (as an extract).
I've been doing ales for a few months now, but that's really not suiting my taste anymore.
The reason I started brewing is not that I don't like the 'store' beers, it's that they just don't have enough flavor (besides DIY is cheaper & fun).
If I could get close to a clone of these, but add a bit more flavor to it, that would be perfect.
I realize they're a different type of beer, but I'm willing to experiment and would appreciate any advice on how to go about it.
Thanks
Steve

what batch/boil size?
extract only, or are you comfortable with steeping some specialty grains?
how well can you control fermentation temperature?
crisp clean lagers like the ones you listed are not that easy to do.
as far as ales go you could maybe brew a kolsch or altbier...they have lager like qualities. a cream ale has some of those characteristics as well.
as far as lagers go, they can be warm fermented with certain yeast strains.
a Helles (meaning light or more accurately pale) lager is a nice malt forward style to brew & might be a good place to start

Stroh's is owned by PBR. Not sure about Rolling Rock.

I think Stroh's is a very different flavor from PBR, at least as far as light lager can be different. Plus, Stroh's has a new version out. Can't recall the name, but I have meant to look for it since about mid December. I've always thought Stroh's was one of my favorite light lagers because it had a bit more flavor than the usual American lagers.

I'd definitely go Lager yeast if you have a way to control temps. Make a beer closer to a "premium" American Lager according to the specs for it in the BJCP guidelines.

if you don't have the temp control to do a reasonable job of keeping temps in the lager range, then a Cream Ale or even Cali common might be worth a try. Kolsch is another light ale beer, although I would hesitate to describe it as being very similar to Stroh's or PBR. It also depends on your particular recipe and methods.

Kolsch is about the lightest ale I've ever had. If you haven't had one find some at the beer store and give it a shot. To me it's very much like the ones you listed but with a light malt flavor. I brew one based on the Patero's Creek Old Town and my non craft beer drinking friends love it.

"...DIY is cheaper." I disagree, but maybe you can do it if you only include consumables. It's also going to be difficult to compete on price for the beers you listed. YMMV.

Regarding styles, I definitely recommend cream ales. My non-craft friends tapped my keg half way through my last party. Cream of Three Crops gets great reviews, so it would be a good one to try. Personally, I didn't like it nearly as much as the spotted cow clone I did (based on NB's Speckled Heifer), but that could have just been me doing a poor job with the Co3C...

If I can buy it for less than eight dollars a six pack I don't brew it. If I am going to put four to five hours into it I am going to make something special.

All the Best,
D. White

Hey guys, thanks for all the input.
As much as I really didn't want to spend the money, it looks like I'll need to upgrade to lagers.
While I've seen numerous write-ups about fridges and freezer conversions, it would take me forever to find the best ones.
Could someone direct me to some good tutorials or videos that describe some of the more "inexpensive" ways to construct one of these things?

Conversion depends on the particular fridge/freezer you have. An upright fridge or freezer only requires an STC-1000 controller ($40 assembled) from Ebay/Amazon. A very small amount of DIY to rig it up (A bit more if you buy the parts and put the controller together yourself, which is about as easy as wiring an outlet.)

You can probably find a fridge/freezer on Craigslist for under $100.

If you do a chest freezer you can get away with NOT building a Collar, but if you wanted to also use it as a kegerator you might need to add one to mount faucets on. I'm not positive on the actual requirements because I have an upright fridge as a kegerator.

In either case I recommend the STC-1000 to control the temp. The control itself costs like $30 shipped and you can mount it in a box for a few dollars more. Exactly how you mount it depends on the type of chamber you build, as I said, but usually it involves rigging the controller to have a pair of outlets, one for the fridge/freezer, and the other for a small heater (Like a light fixture with a ceramic reptile heater). The controller turns on either the fridge or heater as needed to adjust the temp.

The controller might also be mounted in the side of the fridge/freezer if you are willing to drill/cut a place for it.

Do a Google search for the STC-1000. I bet you will find lots of pictures with wiring diagrams, and installations. There are some DIY threads in the DIY area on HBT.

Go to Lowe's, new chest freezers are really cheap right now, add the inkbird control unit above and you're ready to ferment lagers and everything else. If you want to take a break from brewing you can still use the freezer as it was intended.

Is the INKBIRD 308 supposed to be a better unit than the STC 1000?

I see the 308 is more than twice the cost of the 1000. Is this due to the 308 having some wiring that is not included with the 1000?

I use the 308 because they had a sale a while back and I didn't have to put anything together like the STC 1000. I use that and a 4.5 cu ft mini fridge I found on craigslist, and I'm good to go. When I'm not fermenting I use it as a beer fridge.

I thought I read somewhere that it was better to use a freezer than just a fridge. I'm assuming because a freezer wouldn't have to work as hard to maintain lower temps .... like 40 degrees.
Any validity to that, or just BS?

I thought I read somewhere that it was better to use a freezer than just a fridge. I'm assuming because a freezer wouldn't have to work as hard to maintain lower temps .... like 40 degrees.
Most people keep the fridge around 36°F or lower, they are designed to run in that temp range.
I think people prefer chest freezers because they are a single compartment and the shape is good for holding fermentors.
If you found a Craigslist fridge it would work just fine. just locate the RTD in the main section.

For the price difference I'd go with a new chest freezer from one of the Big Box stores.

I second rusty. I actually have to watch my fridge to make sure it doesn't get too cold if I'm using it just as a fridge without the temp controller. The chest freezer is the best deal for size per dollar, especially new, but I don't have a lot of space (SWMBO can barely tolerate this hobby as it is) and got the fridge pretty cheap. One time I even saved some harvested ice in it set to the max.

I realize that a fridge can easily do 30 - 40 degrees, but I figured that a freezer, which normally runs around ~0 degrees, would have to work a lot less to maintain temps.
Maybe it will also last longer, considering the fact I may end up keeping the thing out in my shop, where ambient temps in summer can easily reach over 100 degrees.
I might also look into possibly supplementing the unit's insulation to help make its job a bit easier.

I realize that a fridge can easily do 30 - 40 degrees, but I figured that a freezer, which normally runs around ~0 degrees, would have to work a lot less to maintain temps.
Maybe it will also last longer, considering the fact I may end up keeping the thing out in my shop, where ambient temps in summer can easily reach over 100 degrees.
I might also look into possibly supplementing the unit's insulation to help make its job a bit easier.

Condensation and mold has been an issue in my Freezer running at the higher temps, I just ordered a rechargeable dehumidifier and fan to try and deal with this... .... this simply doesn't happen in my Fridge. I have them side by side loaded with kegs and carboys. SWMBO hates it :)

I bought a small bucket of Calcium Chloride from Walmart for my fermentation chamber. It was like $10. So far it hasn't needed changing. Had it about a year. I think it works better if there are no air leaks and you don't open it very often. No mold has grown in there since I cleaned with a strong cleaner and put the bucket in there.

Back