Experimental Beer Strawberry PBJ in a bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptarts

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Tan
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Tastes and smells like a strawberry PBJ
MASH INGREDIENTS
- 5.5 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheatmalt
- 4 lbs German Pilsnermalt

MASH SCHEDULE:
- Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
- Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
- 1 oz German Hallertau (60min)
- 2 lbs Honey (10min)
- 16 oz Adams Peanut butter (10min) See Notes
- 16 oz PB2 (Rack onto in primary)
- 4 oz Strawberry Extract (1 day prior to bottling)

YEAST
- LIQUID YEAST OPTION: Wyeast 3068

TASTE NOTES
- Into primary tastes just like peanut butter and honey sandwiches.
- Into Secondary tastes like peanut butter flat beer.
- Into bottles tastes like peanut butter beer and smells identical to a strawberry pbj.
- Out of bottles tastes and smells like a pbj, good carbonation and even a head despite the peanut butter. This isnt a session beer, However my wife loves them and they arn't bad with a meal or some potato chips. This recipe would make a good peanut butter beer if you just left out the extract.

Mash everything and boil it up like normal, for the Adams peanut butter just dump the layer of oil off the top and add to boil kettle. once honey and peanut butter are in kettle you will pretty much have to stir for the next 10 mins. Once wort is chilled rack into primary mixing in the PB2, your beer should look like tan milk. Add yeast and use a blow off tube!!! (I woke up to a house that smelled like peanut butter sandwiches and a closet full of it, Peanut butter and honey is sticky lol) After 2 weeks rack into secondary you should have around .75 gallons of trub and a little oil on top of the beer, try to keep it out of secondary. Let sit in secondary for about a week, 1 day before bottling add the strawberry extract. Let condition in bottles for 3 weeks and enjoy some liquid pbj.

DMUlTnM.png

The peanut butter taste and fruit flavors are fading, they are becoming very subtle, this is turning into a nice refreshing summer time beer.

This looks very interesting and I would like to try it. However, I'm new to brewing and was wondering if I could use 5.5# of Wheat malt extract and 4#of pilsner extract in place of mashing the grain. I also wanted to make it grape pbj. To do this I could add grape extract much like with the strawberry extract. Or would it be better to use a small amount of grape juice during the boil to add fermentable sugar, if so how much. Would the grape juice work or make the beer to much like a wine and not retain any grape flavor. I Could also add the grape juice to the secondary fermentation or maybe even use it as the priming sugar. Like I said I'm rather new to this and any help, input, or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I would use this kit its what I used.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit.html

I would vote on grape extract. However I would also vote that for your first few brews you maybe just make this beer plain or do a simple beer like a standard pale ale. I wouldn't recommend adding crazy stuff like this recipe has till you get the process down more.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I will not be brewing this beer for the first couple of months, but I can not wait to give it a try once I get the hang of things. I did have a one other questions though. How much did the peanut butter and fruit taste fade, did it still taste like PBJ?

Back