Strawberry Banana Shine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is your still, 15gal?
let's say you have 10% wash
in a 10 gal boiler.
That's 1 gallon of 100% pure etho, now take into account cuts...Maybe 3 5ths and that's if you do loose cuts.
Also, you're not getting all the etho out anyway.

20 gallon and that is 20 gallons of mash liquid.
Running Rye I usually get five one gallon starting 150-110 proof. Adding everything together I further proof it to 100 and add an extra gallon.
But not with the strawberry banana?
What the hell happened???

20 gallon and that is 20 gallons of mash liquid.
Running Rye I usually get five one gallon starting 150-110 proof. Adding everything together I further proof it to 100 and add an extra gallon.
But not with the strawberry banana?
What the hell happened???

It is possible when I was transferring the liquid from the fermentor to the still. I may have also transferred some of the pulp too. But that would not explain the low volume. I had even added a 50 proof 1/2 gallon and a 115 proof 3/4 gallon to the thumper.

In my experience, running the still quickly can cause a dramatic drop in abv in short order.
When I do a one and done I run 2 quarts per hour sometimes 3, but I collect in very small jars. I also don't worry myself with quantity, I want quality!

I said before that I retrieved 3 total gallons from 45 gallons of peach wash with no added sugar and it's a superior product, I could've upd the quantity for less quality but that's not how I roll.

In my experience, running the still quickly can cause a dramatic drop in abv in short order.
When I do a one and done I run 2 quarts per hour sometimes 3, but I collect in very small jars. I also don't worry myself with quantity, I want quality!

I said before that I retrieved 3 total gallons from 45 gallons of peach wash with no added sugar and it's a superior product, I could've upd the quantity for less quality but that's not how I roll.

Agreed. I ran this low and slow. And where I state gallons I captured in quarts. My surprise was that SP was at 1.099 with a brix of 15. 20 gallons of liquid should have captured at least 15-20 quarts with a starting proof at 120-130. But the first was 110 and the fifth quart was 80?
The only thing I keep dwelling on is maybe allot of solids was transferred instead of just liquid. Maybe more of the pulp could not turn to a vapor but suspended process.

Yea, all 3 of my runs with baby food jars.

When I do bourbon or rum I collect in pints until I get to the hearts then go back to pints when I detect tails.

Fruits seem to have the best flavors in the heads, the hearts are pretty boring until that addition of the heads at blending.

I proof down with the 0-15 ish % Sweetwater at the very end of the run, not much at all for alky but the flavors are awesome.

I've put fermented apple pulp in the thumper and it was so thick it heated awkwardly, some of the pulp didn't get hot while the other boiled away. Strang but true.

I plan to do this couple runs of apple and pears this year but I'm going to focus on filling my new barrels with rum.

And 3 or 4 with meads of some sorts!

Edited: Didn't show me the last few days worth of posts so ignore this

Mash with Alpha Amalayse and Beta Amalayse powder???? Bananas do not contain enough enzymes to break down thier own sugars so your yeast can dominate??? Wild rambling...

Back