Strawberries in my Saison...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiggStout1

Reaction score
Brewing a saison today and want to add some strawberries to the secondary. It is a 5 gallon all grain batch using belgian saison wyyeast. Anybody know a good starting point, I definitely want the color and nose but not so fruity on the taste, I want the saison feel but just enough strawberry to notice the taste.... Any answers, anybody....

I would slice the strawberries and freeze them. I would say that 3-3.5 pounds of RIPE strawberries would give you the subtle taste you are looking for.

I was thinking of cutting and mashing the strawberries and canning them to sterilize and keep till ready to go in secondary, is this sufficient will I lose any flavor during the canning. Is pectic enzyme necessary and when would be the best time to add it. Thanks...

The strawberries, once the sugar fermented out, don't taste like much.
You might want to dose it a little with strawberry extract after.

So what if I waited till fermentation was completely done and add berries fir two weeks, would I get more or less flavor, I can actually let em sit and taste till satisfied just don't like risking contamination.

Back