Straw mulch depth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
So I have my bed ready for my rhizomes (arriving in the next day or two) and I just ran some chicken wire around it and put about 6" of straw on top of the dirt. I plan on cutting sections from a round gallon jug to put over the rhizomes to form a doughnut to keep the straw away from any growth that emerges.
My question is : is 6" of straw enough, too much or just about right? It's a raised bed with a mixture of compost and top soil with some bone meal turned in. I want to keep potential weeds at bay and at the same time minimize the amount of water required. If that's even possible.

I'd say it's probably deep enough, as long as there's no perennial weeds lurking below the surface.

I don't think there are any weeds that will get up to the surface. I turned the soil/grass over and then anchored the 2x8 walled box to the ground and filled it with compost and top soil out of bags.

In my field I lay about that every year over the beds and it packs down to about a 2" matt by the next spring. The hops will grow right through it as they emerge so you do not have to cover them unless you want to.

Latest posts

Back