Strangest beer opener / beer vessel used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, tonight, as many nights in my life, I was in a hotel with a great beer found locally, but none of my usual tools / glassware. I opened a wonderful Stone beer with a dresser drawerpull, and enjoyed it in a Legoland sippy cup. What is the strangest opener you have ever used + what is the strangest glassware you have ever used?

As long as you're drinking craft or homebrew, no criticisms, but this is an inventive group, I am curious as to these essential yet potentially inventive processes:mug:

BTW, in San Diego you can get Stone 4.20.14 in a basic grocery store, I am jealous, even in beer centric CO this isn't possible.

stone.jpg

I've used Bic lighters, table corners, key rings (with keys), screwdrivers & metal scribes as bottle openers; I think the weirdest drinking vessel I've ever used was a quart Mason jar.
Regards, GF.

I can use pretty much anything to open a bottle. I have used everything from the Bic, keys, and even a sheet of paper. As for things to drink out of, I have used tupperware in a pinch, but will usually commit the blasphemy of drinking from the bottle when a drinkin container isnt available.

Pretty standard for me to use the handles on drawers as they keep the caps in tact the best. I'm saving the for a future project. I think the oddest is this can handle thing I got at spencers that fits on standard 12 ounce cans as a handle similar to a mug. Oh wait nope the best was a removable carry handle for an m16 I just happened to have in my trunk one evening. No strange vessels yet.

For opening bottles the back of the blade of folding knives is common, as are Bic lighters. Pretty much any flat surface will do. In college most of the edges of the desks and kitchen counters had bottle top bite marks on them. Rest the edge of the cap on the edge of the counter and smack the top of the bottle with your palm. I've used my teeth, but I wouldn't recommend it. Back in the '60's I saw my father open a beer bottle on the little bracket where the car sunvisors clip in. Of course, that's back when the brackets were made out of steel. Nowadays I always have at least one, more often two, Swiss Army Knives in my pocket, so I don't have to be quite as creative.

The World is my bottle-opener!

It's funny to open bottles with the most ridiculously oversized thing you can still hold, for example, grab a shovel.

As for the oddest vessel I've drank out off, might not be a "vessel" per se, but probably the counter top; there's no use crying over spilt beer, yum.

Used to open beer bottles using the piece that the car door latch locks into. Not sure what that is called...

Strangest thing I ever drank out of: In college, we did shots out of the lid to a deodorant stick. Needless to say, we were already smashed at that point.

Bic lighter is my go to when regular bottle opener is not available.

Strange vessel?
UNUSED hospital urinal.... Funny thing when I got to the party, I felt safe setting my "drink" down and knowing that no one was going to even be tempted to drink it.:tank:

I don't open beers, beers open themselves for me. liquor stores hate it when I walk in.:cool:

as for the drinking vessel, me & some friends went through a "strange glass" phase. we'd comb the 2nd hand stores looking for anything oddball we could bring to the bar. alot of closed bottom planters & vases. my favorite was a kids split cup with 2 twisty straws. Jameson in one side & PBR in the other is a bad idea.

Ive used the bottom of a Bic lighter in a pinch. Probably not a good idea.

I have a lighter that opened over a hundred beers. Sure the bottom is a bit chewed up, but it stills works.

Best thing I learned (my first time) in college. How to open a beer with just about anything. Lighters, keys, butter knives, tailgate of a pickup, frozen shrimp. I think my favorite opening device is any of my grilling utensils. Probably because it means I'm grilling.

I usually make sure I have proper glassware. If I'm traveling, ill just buy a new glass of a brewery I don't get back home.

On a trip snowshoeing with a friend I have used a 2L pop bottle cut in half the bottom as one cup for my friend the top with the cover screwed on as the other cup for me. Same trip I opened a beer with a knot in a tree.

I've managed to open a beer with a dollar bill: Roll it up super tight, fold the resulting tube in half and use it like you would a lighter. It's fiddly but a great way of winning a dollar bet :)

Actually come to think of it ive used the tongue of a mobile home once to open a beer in the same fashion as using the edge of a table or counter top. A word of advice though don't use metal surfaces like that, it broke of at the neck. Still drank it just alot more carefully lol. Another word of advice, don't drink 6 or so beers before attempting that.

I use my wedding ring all the time to open beers.

+1

the wedding ring is quite effective and (should) go most everywhere.

The wife used to give a look of disdain, but it doesn't even phase her anymore. It takes a little while to build up a callus - but once the finger toughens up it is easy.

Actually come to think of it ive used the tongue of a mobile home once to open a beer in the same fashion as using the edge of a table or counter top. A word of advice though don't use metal surfaces like that, it broke of at the neck. Still drank it just alot more carefully lol. Another word of advice, don't drink 6 or so beers before attempting that.

Metal works, but you really have to be sure that you are not getting the edge under the lip of the bottle and are only hitting the teeth of the cap. I occasionally use another beer bottle (empty) to do it, though have taken the lip of the bottle off with the cap and sliced the crap out of my lip when drinking it. It is okay to drink out of the bottle, was only a cheap mexican beer while boating.

My wife cringes every time I use the wedding ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wedding ring as well. My wife used to care but after I threw out my kangaroo scrotum bottle opener I got at a tourist shop in Sydney she is happy.

It was a wooden mold with a kangaroo "scrotum " wrapped around it. It was designed to look like a scrotum with balls and a bottle opener on top. I liked asking people to "Hand me my sack/balls." When I needed to open a beer. The look on my wife's female friends face was worth it.

A horseshoe although I admit modifying it a bit. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396660198.636031.jpg
FYI if anyone wants one let me know.

When I wore one, I would use my wedding ring if nothing else was available/convenient. It's rare that I'm in a situation where I can't find an edge to pop a top off with. For glassware, I have used, on occasion, a chemistry flask I snagged from work.

Back