Strange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
So, I brewed on Sunday and had a pretty high OG - 1.077. So rather than youse an airlock I chose to go with a blowoff tube. I'm honestly not seeing much action from the blowoff tube but the temperature of the fermenter is where I would expect it - about 14 degrees higher than room temp. Just find it strange I'm not seeing more action from the blowoff tube

If you've got heat, you likely have fermentation. Are you fermenting in something that will allow you to see evidence of a krausen? Even in a bucket, you can often see the shadow of it if you shine a flashlight...

Lack of bubbles doesn't mean nothing is happening. Usually it just means you've got an air leak somewhere else, so the gas is taking the path of least resistance.

If you are fermenting in a bucket, a lot of times the seal on lids does not seal perfectly, so if CO2 is escaping out the lid, it won't need to go out the blow off tube.

If you've got heat, you likely have fermentation. Are you fermenting in something that will allow you to see evidence of a krausen? Even in a bucket, you can often see the shadow of it if you shine a flashlight...

Lack of bubbles doesn't mean nothing is happening. Usually it just means you've got an air leak somewhere else, so the gas is taking the path of least resistance.

That makes sense but yes, I know the extra heat means it's fermenting. I mean 14 degrees warmer than the room is what I would consider normal

Interesting. For me, 5 gallon batches in either a glass carboy or the Catalyst polycarb fermenter I'd say ~ 4 degrees is more normal even with vigorous fermentation. I've never seen close to 14.

That said if it's normal for you, it's normal!

Try to make sure the tubing is perpendicular to the lid, particularly if you have a short piece of straight hard tubing inserted into the grommet or the carboy cap.

Try to make sure the tubing is perpendicular to the lid, particularly if you have a short piece of straight hard tubing inserted into the grommet or the carboy cap.

I have an elbow that fits in the top of the bucket that is connected to a tube that goes into a growler. I mean, it probably is air leaking somewhere. I'll have to check the lid to make sure it's solid all the way around

Think I found the issue. The bucket cap isn't making a seal. I reconnected. Hopefully I don't need to buy a new bucket

Last edited:
Back