Strange things happening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slinky0390

Reaction score
First off, I'm brewing a habanero/orange peel porter. So, out of curiosity, I smelled the bubbles coming out of the airlock and smelled bananas, took a gravity reading/sample and it smelled like yeast, its getting very close to my expected FG. Took a taste and it tasted like a porter with a undertone of yeast, it's been 4 days in primary so and according to this first gravity reading it still has a couple days to go. The taste also isn't exactly what I wanted it to be but the beer is extremely green. Should I be worried by the smells though, especially the banana? Even though there is no banana taste, I don't want it to magically appear. Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about the smell. I would leave it alone for another week, then check the gravity. Remeber, worrying ruins home brew. So, RDWHAHB. - Dwain

Don't judge ANYTHING with a beer until it is finished, bottled, and aged. Beer goes through many stages of smells and tastes before it is ready to drink. Leave the beer alone for a few weeks before you do anything else.

Don't worry about the smell. I would leave it alone for another week, then check the gravity. Remeber, worrying ruins home brew. So, RDWHAHB. - Dwain

Yeah, I'll leave it alone till next monday, then rack to secondary for the addition of the orange peel and for clarification for another week or so. I would have a home brew, but I'm fresh out, I've been giving DFH's Palo Santo a try though, it's pretty good.

What was your OG and what temp are you at? Sounds like biz as usual.

Edit: You may want to throw the orange peel in the primary then rack into secondary for clearing after a week or so. It will give your yeast cake a chance to clean up any off flavors it may have produced. Also fruit can have sugar that the yeast will go to town on and you'll just have more sediment and yeast hanging around. Therefore ruining the whole idea of moving it to secondary. But it is a porter...hm. This is of course only what works for me and you may know more than I do so, just my 2 cents

What was your OG and what temp are you at? Sounds like biz as usual.

Expected OG = 1.067, Actual OG = 1.068 @ 68 degrees
Expected FG = 1.019, Gravity Today = 1.022 @ 66 degrees.

So I'm not too far off with my numbers from what BeerAlchemy spit out at me. And besides, My plan was to be in primary for one week, which would bring me to thursday, it's only been 4 days, and I think I'll rack to secondary monday, this way I'm not rushing anything since christmas is this week and I'm sure I'll be running around during the days before even though I dont plan on it.

Sounds good. I guess I really should have asked what yeast you're using but regardless. Sounds normal. If it were me I would leave in primary until after the holidays. Again, just my 2 cents.

Recipe? Sounds interesting.

Sounds good. I guess I really should have asked what yeast you're using but regardless. Sounds normal. If it were me I would leave in primary until after the holidays. Again, just my 2 cents.

Recipe? Sounds interesting.

White labs london ale yeast, it says keep it between 65-71 degrees.

The recipe isn't anything special, I just put together a basic extract porter recipe. I needed something easy to do between semesters. But since this is the first time I'm doing anything "different" (habanero in beer) it's more of an experiment for me. So some things are tentative, like I might add another pepper in secondary and I'm still trying to figure out how much orange to put in there.

6lb Amber DME
1lb Medium Crystal
.75lb chocolate
.25lb patent
1.3oz fuggle
1.0oz EKG
1 habanero (seeds in) at 15 mins and transferred to primary.
London ale yeast.

Back