Strange taste for an english brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but it tastes like it has some apple juice in it? Even smells of apples...

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad...it's just not what I expected. Any ideas on what might have caused it?

Would you describe the flavour as 'green apples' or 'cidery'?

Green Apple: acetaldehyde, this is a intermediate compound formed during fermentation. Noticeable levels of acetaldehyde are characteristic of a young beer that needs more time at room temp to age and let the yeast clean up. It can also be found in low levels in beers containing coffee or large quantities of dark roasted grains.

Cidery: A contributing factor to a cider flavour can actually be acetaldehyde, especially if too much pure sugar was added to the recipe, but this can also be an indicator of an acetobacter infection (the bacteria that creates vinegar).

If you're bottle conditioning/carbing, it might just be that the yeast are still chewing up the priming sugar and need more time. If the taste gets stronger and more sour over time, then it's an infection.

Which yeast was used for it? White Labs lists apples as a possible aroma with WLP023. I've never personally gotten apples out of it, but it definitely has a fruity aroma, so I could easily see it being apple-y.

How long has this been in the bottle? Chances are that flavor will mellow with time.

I left it in the primary for about 2 months...then kegged...used the nottingham yeast if i remember correctly?

Took a few more steps...pulled the keg from the frig to let it sit at room temp for a few days. Also added some polyclear to the keg to see if it would clear it up a little bit more.

Back