Strange Stuff In Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I brewed up a raspberry wheat and kegged it. This is the first time I've added anything during kegging. I added about 1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract when I kegged it I put this into 1/2 cup of vodka to stearalize it. The beer was on tap fo a party and was killed the next day so it was in the keg for 4 days to carbonate and kiled in two so it was in there about 6 days total. At the end of it the tap spit out a bunch of foam and the last pint was cloundy and brownish. The entire keg tasted good and the foam tasted okay(I was curious okay sue me) two what was this stuff any one know?

I'm definitely not a pro at this yet and don't own any kegging systems, but at first thought I would guess that the cloudy brown stuff would be extra yeast sediment that was resting at the bottom of the keg.

Yup, when you open your kegs to clean em, there is normally a thin layer of yeast and sediment that klings to the walls. That should be all that it was.

so it just stick to the sides and top while it's carbonating. Never had that happen before I did not add sugar for natural cabonation this was just hooked up to the CO2 and put in the kegerator.

If you let it sit in secondary for a month and crash cool it for another week, you'd have hardly anything in the keg. It's that stint in the cold that finally settles out that final bit of sediment. Just think how cloudy those first couple test pints are compared to two weeks later.

voodoochild7 said:
so it just stick to the sides and top while it's carbonating. Never had that happen before I did not add sugar for natural cabonation this was just hooked up to the CO2 and put in the kegerator.

But did you always use the same yeast? same secondary time? same exact recipe?

any change in any variable will give slightly different results :)

Back