Strange lingering aftertaste....what gives??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safemammal

Reaction score
Hey all,

I put my first batch into bottles a few weeks ago, and have cracked them open at weekly intervals to find them improving in taste and carbonation, but each time I've had a weird, sweet and salty aftertaste that hangs around for literally hours, no matter what, and it's kind of freaking me out. Is this common? The beer I made was an English Brown Ale from a Brewer's Best kit, and I didn't get the taste when I took a sip before I put it in bottles (although it was only a sip).

Thanks...

What did you wash and sanitize your bottles with? Could it have been something related to that?

What did you prime with?

Just a newb and don't have any suggestions, but I expect others will want to ask these questions and also probably more specifics on your process and recipe.

Good Luck.

What did you wash and sanitize your bottles with? Could it have been something related to that?

What did you prime with?

Just a newb and don't have any suggestions, but I expect others will want to ask these questions and also probably more specifics on your process and recipe.

Good Luck.

Well, I washed my bottles by soaking them overnight in about 10 gallons of water and a couple of teaspoons of Oxyclean....my biggest fear is that I didn't rinse them out well enough, but from what I've read, it seems like if there was enough residue to leave the weird aftertaste, it would also affect the taste and carbonation, but it doesn't seem to have. I sanitized the bottles with with iodophor, and all of my equipment was cleaned with regular unscented dish soap and rinsed quite thoroughly.

Chances are the saltiness is from your water.

I just used store bought spring water. Could using the wrong type of water really put a taste in my mouth for the rest of the night? That's what I really want to get to the bottom of...it's kind of like eating something garlicky or oniony, it just hangs there forever, no matter what I do.

Back