Strange fermentation process... help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruruiz05

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I bought a kit for making beer some years ago and I have made beer now and then. I don’t have a hydrometer. What I always do is that I let my beer in my 1 gallon fermenter for 2 weeks, and after the 2 weeks I bottle.

Now, for second time in a row something strange has happened. At around day 8 or 9 there are no more bubbles/foam in my glass fermenter. By day 14, when I plan to bottle, I see all of a sudden new foam and bubbles in the glass fermenter. Last time such “new” fermenting process finished around day 16 or 17. Anyone has any clue why I could have no bubbles, and then some days later new activity again? Once this fermentation is again over, I plan to put the fermenter in the fridge for a cold crash. Attached are pictures of my fermenter at day 14.View attachment 690239View attachment 690238View attachment 690239

Hello everyone,

I bought a kit for making beer some years ago and I have made beer now and then. I don’t have a hydrometer. What I always do is that I let my beer in my 1 gallon fermenter for 2 weeks, and after the 2 weeks I bottle.

Now, for second time in a row something strange has happened. At around day 8 or 9 there are no more bubbles/foam in my glass fermenter. By day 14, when I plan to bottle, I see all of a sudden new foam and bubbles in the glass fermenter. Last time such “new” fermenting process finished around day 16 or 17. Anyone has any clue why I could have no bubbles, and then some days later new activity again? Once this fermentation is again over, I plan to put the fermenter in the fridge for a cold crash. Attached are pictures of my fermenter at day 14.View attachment 690239View attachment 690238View attachment 690239
Did you dryhop?

Hello everyone,

It's called a stalled ferment and nobody knows why it happens. I've had one in 10 years of brewing.

One way to prevent that is to do a stepped ferment. Start at the lower end of the range for your yeast then when it starts to slow raise it 4 degrees F then raise again to the top of range after 3-4 days. Most beers will be ready to package at day 14. I have an enviable pipeline so I don't even check until day 21,but i do mostly Kolsch and Lager.

Back