Strange beer pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
Does anyone know why my beer would pour beer then foam then beer again while filling a pint? I never had this problem when I lived in NY amd my kegerator was in my garage. Now I'm in Florida and its in my Florida room where its 75 to 95 degrees. I have 10 feet of three eights line and gas is at 10 to 12 psi.

Not an expert by any means but I have the same issues and this is what I have come to believe is going on.

Is there a tower on your kegerator? Most likely cause is the difference in beer temperature to beer line temperature. Cold beer hitting the warmer line in your tower will cause the foam. Once the beer cools down the line it will go back to beer. Which would explain the beer, foam, beer you're seeing.

I don't have a tower just taps coming out of the door of my fridge. I think I have to figure out a way to cool the taps themselves.

In that case do you notice condensation on the taps themselves? If so I would say you're on the right track. Could also be a issue of the faucets themselves. I have a buddy who has the same setup and is opting for the new faucet route.

3/8 line seems awfully big......... Mine is 7 ft of 3/16 beverage line from the lhbs.

Seems like air getting into the line somewhere? Maybe a bad seal at the keg? This would only be if it continues to pour beer/foam/beer/foam

Not an expert by any means but I have the same issues and this is what I have come to believe is going on.

Is there a tower on your kegerator? Most likely cause is the difference in beer temperature to beer line temperature. Cold beer hitting the warmer line in your tower will cause the foam. Once the beer cools down the line it will go back to beer. Which would explain the beer, foam, beer you're seeing.

What he said. My kego with a tower used to do the same thing before I added cooling all the way to the tap. Also some taps may slowly leak co2 rendering the beer in the line flat for the first pour.

Oops, I meant 3/16ths. My issue was an overcarbed keg. I bled off some gas and all is perfect now.

Back