Straining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
I am trying to get all the info I need before my next (second) batch so I can get everything, well mostly everything right this time.

For this first batch I didnt strain off any of the cold break so there is a lot of stuff floating around in there right now, since it hasnt even started to settle out yet. I plan on straining it though cheese cloth when I am racking it to get rid of any of it that may get sucked up by the siphon.

My question is...

Can I strain the wort through cheese cloth when adding it into the carboy to strain that off from the getgo or will taking all of that away take some things that I actually need away also?

Thanks

The better way to go is to put a hop bag or cheesecloth on the end (bottom) of your racking cane, if you're so inclined.
But if you go the secondary route, most if not all of that stuff is going to settle out anyway, so personally, I wouldn't strain until you transfer to the bottling bucket.
Of course, I never really strain anyway (unless it's a fruit beer or something like that).

I've never had any luck trying to strain and I've always found that sooner or later everything settles out anway. I don't bother any more.

My cheesecloth always got filled up with particles of this and that and after a couple of minutes no more fluid could get through. It was not worth the mess and bother for me.

Back