Stovetop Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still very new to this and I think I just came to the realization for why my first beer was so watery. In my rush I neglected to check to OG of my first batch (assuming it was where it was supposed to be) and went along with fermentation. The FG is within a normal range (little low) but the beer is very watery. I think my issue was that I had 75% as my efficiency on my brewing software, however I am new and use a pot on the stove to mash (only made 1 gallon) so I think my actual efficiency was probably much lower. For next time, does anyone have a guess as to what kind efficiency a beginner brewer who does stove pot mash and sparge might be? Like 60%? 55%?

Are you doing partial mash or all grain? Do you get your grains pre-crushed or do you do it yourself? What is your mash temp?

My first batches were one gallon stove top brews using a kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop, and both were good full bodied beers - so I don't think there's an inherent penalty for stove top or small batches. Post your recipe and the steps and temperatures you used and we may be able to see things we could identify as concerns or recommend changing next time.

There is, unfortunately, absolutely no way for us to guess. Depending on your temperatures, you could have gotten right around 75% or a bit higher, or you could have gotten nearly nothing. Something in between is the most likely, but we can't say where. Chalk it up to learning! :mug:

Welcome to your new obsession Nate. One thing i'd suggest to you for this and future posts. It'd be best if you write a full or brief synopsis of what your process was. I.e. how long you mashed for at what temperature? How long was it in the fermenter? How long was it bottle conditioning? did you cold crash before bottling? Essentially It's been my experience that to get the best solution as soon as possible you'll have to share your process. You'll avoid the back and forth of what was this or did you do this.

To answer your questions

I am a 1 gallon brewer. My first two batches displayed a similar characteristic that you've explained. Those batches fermented for 2 weeks and were bottle conditioned for 2 weeks. After doing some research on here i found that most all ferment for at least 3 weeks and the same for bottle conditioning. I followed the process and didn't have that taste profile anymore. How long did you ferment and bottle condition for?

To add to MrBrown, 'green' beer can also have that taste. After re-reading your post, it sounds like you tasted it after it finished fermenting but you haven't gone through the bottle condition phase. Carbonation and conditioning go a long way in helping to make your beer better. My first one was also kind of watery until it finished conditioning. Give it some time if you just bottled it.

Recipe:

1.1 gal

1 lb 4 oz 2 row
8 oz munich
2 oz carared
1.5 oz crystal 60
2.5 oz crystal 90
1 oz beglian biscuit.

Grains were crushed at my local brew store.

mashed for 1 hour at 152 (though there may have been some variation: I used a meat thermometer)
sparged with 175 degree water

I fermented for 15 days. Currently the beer is in the bottles and I'm going to wait at least two weeks to drink it. The watery taste I noted was when I tasted the green beer before it went into bottles.

Was the gravity stable at 15 days? Was the beer clear or slightly misty? If it was stil cloudy at bottling it may've needed some time to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out before bottling. And try giving it another week before fridge time & sampling.

It was nice and clear. I had cold crashed for the last two days of fermentation so when I bottled it was very very clear and had a nice solid yeast cake on bottom. I think for future reference I will let it ferment one more week. and I will be SURE to check OG

Back