Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I am on my 5th batch.
I am thinking of doing a stout.
I have read about of couple of receipes that are like Guiness.
How does a homebrewing get the guiness carbonation ?

Do you just proceed and drinking it with the traditional co2?

FYI... I keg all of my beer and do not bottle. and I generally cast condition.

Thanks.
T

you'll have to use beer gas (more nitrogen specifically) instead of co2 to get anywhere close to guinness
and i've also read somewhere, possibly on this board, that they use a little of their old sour beer in their new batches.....although that has nothing to do with carbonation...just a side note i guess

Plenty of people make stouts and serve them on CO2 like any other beer. I haven't priced it out, but I know that you can easily spend $100-200 to get a beer gas tank/regulator and nitro faucet set up to serve stouts like guinness is served commercially, and for most of us it's not important enough to spend that much money. Stouts served on CO2 can still be excellent (and the last one I made was), they just won't have quite the same thick, creamy head that you see on guinness.

Pour your stout as you would any beer, then using a meat injector suck a little beer into the injector and quickly push it back into the glass(still having the tip immersed in the beer) and you'll have a nearly perfect pint.

Latest posts

Back