stout tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Hi i am after stout tap creamer. I have one of these as in picture below. I am after stout tap in chrome with flow adjuster on any one know where i can get one. My tap in dismantled as cleaning.

Attachments

• Beer tap.jpg
    Beer tap.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 16
That looks like a basic eurotap with flow control. That spout doesn't provide much opportunity to modify such a faucet for stout service.

I do not believe dedicated stout faucets include flow controls as there's not much reason for such a feature. There are some multi-purpose faucets with flow control that allow replacing the standard spout with a purported "stout spout" (Intertap, primarily) but I have no idea how well they function compared to a purpose-built stout faucet, which generally look like this:

1644191164224.png

I have been using the Micromatic version of that design for ~15 years and it works exactly as desired using 70/30 beer gas at 35 psi. No need for flow control - or much beer line for that matter. The restrictor plate inside the faucet spout dictates the pour, really...

Cheers!

Thanks so much for you reply been stressing me out as lot. Stout taps are really expensive for a tap. Found the one you mentioned on amazon and picking up 70/30 mixed gas Tuesday. Much appreciated your reply. Can't thank you enough.

Kind Regards

Gareth

I'm using four of the faucets day_tripper pictures, all stainless versions on my keezer. Using 75/25 nitro/co2 mix from my local supplier. Agree that these work really well. I went the all stainless route because, why not?? ;) With stainless, they should easily last a lifetime of use. I've seen pictures of plated brass faucets where the plating has come off (usually inside, in some areas). Not a concern with stainless.

70/30 gas mix this is my first time making a stout st peters cream stout. Will 70/30 gas mix be ok? Also using 19l keg. What priming press and serving pressure would you recommend? Using stout tap. Have you ever brewed st perters?

Thanks đź‘Ť

I carbonate in conical fermenter before the keg goes into the keezer for serving. I carbonate to the desired level by the typical chart (psi at temperature). Opting to go a little higher on the range since I also fill cans when packaging (keg first, then cans) so I offset for loss due to that process.

Easiest thing to do with the 75/25 mix is figure out the carbonation level you want, and then use 4x the pressure from the nitro mix to maintain that in the beer. If you get the 60/40 mix, your math is different. Those are the two mixes available from the gas supplier I use. Not sure if the "70/30" is actually 75/25 or not, and they just got lazy in the labeling on your end.

BTW, 'priming' is when carbonating with sugar. If using CO2 from a bottle, it's simply carbonating pressure. I also don't do the high PSI burst carbonation method. Using a carbonating stone in the conical means I infuse with the desired CO2 pressure level into the finished beer and let it ride for a few days to get it done. Turn off the gas (disconnecting the feed from the carb stone) and then let it rest for a day (or a few) and then package. For me, it's an easy system with what I have for a setup. Especially since I now have a 20# CO2 bottle in the fermenting area with the dual body regulator (was used with the keezer). I swapped out the 10# bottle that was in the fermenting area for the 20# last time. Still have the original 20# I got in 2011 on the keezer (original fill too).

Golddiggie, So when my st peter's cream stout has finished fermenting. Can I transfer to my 19L keg and carbonate with 70/30 mixed gas? If so what co2 Pressure to slowly carbonate?

What serving pressure would you set to serve this stout?

Kind Regards

Gareth

Use the normal carbonation chart to figure out how much CO2 pressure you need to get to the level you want. Then simply do the math since you'll be using 30% CO2 concentration instead of 100%.

Great thanks for the support much appreciated, looking forward to this.

What you drinking/brewing at the moment if i may ask?

I have six on tap right now, some have second kegs waiting for the ones connected to kick.
Ale taps:
Ordinary Bitter
English IPA
Stout taps:
Chocolate stout
Breakfast stout
Whiskey stout
Old ale

I packaged a second batch of my whiskey stout two Sunday's ago. Filled a 2.5 gallon keg and then 43 16oz cans. Labeled the cans yesterday afternoon. Need to get the label application machine soon (then order rolls of labels). Takes too long to label them by hand (over an hour to put the labels on, plus more time to cut them from the sheets).

Up next I'm brewing an imperial version of the whiskey stout (plan for 10-11% ABV). After that, most likely the IPA. The IPA should be in keg and can before the imperial due to putting oak in that for ~6 weeks once it's done fermenting. Not sure, yet, what I'll brew after that. Probably the bitter again, so it's ready for the warmer weather. Planning to brew the old ale again, with some tweaks to make sure it comes out better.

I plan to can up what's left in some of the kegs in the keezer over the coming weekend. That way I'll have the taps open for either the waiting kegs, or more cans to give away.

Back