Stout Tanks and kettles Brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1bottlerocket

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone brewing on a Stout system? I am looking at setting up a 3 vessel system and pretty much have it narrowed down to two, Blichmann and Stout Tanks and Kettles. I wanted to go with a Spike system but they don't ship overseas and they will not even answer the most basic of questions. I can understand, as they probably don't want to open themselves up to any potential liability issues.

I am closest to pulling the trigger on the Stout 20 gal electric system. I wanted to ask for some advice regarding the Insulated Mash tun and the HLT with the herms and tangential inlet. Are these worth the upgrade?

Also, does anyone know if the listed 20 gal product includes pumps, hoses, etc? Thanks again!

I dont personally own Stout, but their pro systems are used by countless breweries in my area, and they've been around for a while, so i wouldnt worry about quality. They seem to be pretty well known and robust.

I will say that an insulated Mash Tun is less important if you're using a herms recirculation system, as you're using the herms coil to maintain mash temps, so if you're going herms, skip the insulated Tun (unless you're brewing in an ice cold environment or something). Tangential inlets are good too since you get the water moving in the HLT to avoid temperature stratification, and in the BK for whirlpooling. I have recirculation fittings in both my HLT and Boil Kettle, and wouldnt go without them.

Finally. Looking at the stout site, it looks like their kits are just the kettles themselves. No elements, no hoses, no pumps, etc. But thats because most people source these things themselves if they're building up a custom system as a Stout system would be. Its not like Spike or SS that come with everything including a controller. You'd have to build/buy all of these things

I dont personally own Stout, but their pro systems are used by countless breweries in my area, and they've been around for a while, so i wouldnt worry about quality. They seem to be pretty well known and robust.

I will say that an insulated Mash Tun is less important if you're using a herms recirculation system, as you're using the herms coil to maintain mash temps, so if you're going herms, skip the insulated Tun (unless you're brewing in an ice cold environment or something). Tangential inlets are good too since you get the water moving in the HLT to avoid temperature stratification, and in the BK for whirlpooling. I have recirculation fittings in both my HLT and Boil Kettle, and wouldnt go without them.

Finally. Looking at the stout site, it looks like their kits are just the kettles themselves. No elements, no hoses, no pumps, etc. But thats because most people source these things themselves if they're building up a custom system as a Stout system would be. Its not like Spike or SS that come with everything including a controller. You'd have to build/buy all of these things
Thanks a bunch for the information. Temperature is an issue in the winter, usually November -March, as we're below zero throughout most of the months and our brewery is an outdoor garage.

I also appreciate the information about the tangential inlets on the HLT and BK. I will go ahead and ask for that in the specs.

They got back to me today, and you're correct, this will be a completely custom built system but Stout is able to supply most of it, including pumps, elements, and controls, it will just have to be spec'd. to Stout and they will build it. Thanks so much for chiming in.

Last edited:
I would not buy an insulated mash tun. (unless my homebrew budget was unlimited) There are effective and cost effective options for the homebrewer to insulate a convnetional mash tun. I have used reflective insulation and happy with the result.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-Insulation-ADD04-610x3-048/307281313#overlay
Thanks for the information. We don't have Home Depot in Switzerland, but I can look for an equivalent in lieu of that brand. The cost of the kettle is a difference of about 300 USD from the non-insulated.

Last edited:
You cannot find stainless steel kettles in Switzerland? I know Switzerland is not an EU member, I assume you still have import/export with other nations.

What about converting kegs? Between shipping and import tariffs, local sourced solutions might be the better choice.

You cannot find stainless steel kettles in Switzerland? I know Switzerland is not an EU member, I assume you still have import/export with other nations.

What about converting kegs? Between shipping and import tariffs, local sourced solutions might be the better choice.
Yes I am trying to source locally but finding a 3 vessel stainless systems is proving to be difficult. Most people use an electronic BIAB system or something like a stack that Blichmann builds.

The Stout system seems to be the best solution right now or something like a Brewtools B80. I am able to order directly with Stout. With Blichmann you have to go through a dealer, which creates another layer of communication and charges.

I have read a few German brewing publications and there’s scarce information on manufacturing 3 vessel systems.

Yes, we still have trade with the EU and the taxes are lower into Switzerland as opposed to the EU.

I am not keen on using kegs I would rather spend more initially for a purpose built system.

If you are willing/able to pay for Stout gear, it's good stuff. Unless you're looking for a several barrel (BIG homebrew or commercial pilot) system, they're probably not worth the money. Stout's big plus is the ability to use steam on a very small system, which basically no one else offers. This is good for a commercial brewery who has a boiler already. It doesn't help a homebrewer. Even commercial breweries often use more basic homebrew setups (read: converted kegs) as pilots systems simply because Stout (along with Ss Brewtech and Spike) is so expensive.

What about converting kegs? Between shipping and import tariffs, locally sourced solutions might be the better choice.
I found this site in Germany: Category: Brewing Systems | Craft Hardware

But they are perpetually out of stock and to date, has not answered any of my emails. The systems look pretty nice to the eye and the size is right in our range.

I brew on a Stout 3V Rims 3bbl system. I think its a good set up. I'm brewing 2bbl at a time right now. May have to start doing 3bbl batches soon.

Attachments

• 20210416_081211.jpg
    20210416_081211.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
I built my 3 vessel rig around 20 gallon stout kettles. HLT has HERMS coil and MT is not insulated (has not been a problem even on colder brew days). I enjoy the kettles but wished I had the bottom dump ports that are on their variations that have legs.
View attachment 752161
Wow sweet setup. You running 2 stout CFC in series? How well does that work if so and are both on tap water or is second on ice water or glycol? You CIP this rig or disassemble for cleaning?

CFC's run in parallel, using tap. Works great and is quick. I originally had one CFC which was okay, but took a long time to cool.

CIP mostly. Acid bath 2x per year.
Note: I do end up breaking down the system what would amount to several times per year for spot checks (specifically the 3-way valves) and seal replacement. So far, no issues...

I put the MT on a tippy-dumper so it is easy to clean out.
IMG_4093 (1).jpeg

Latest posts

Back