Stout season is upon us. What do you think of this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So summer days are almost gone, and although I still can enjoy a tropical IPA in a cold day, there is nothing better than a hearty chocolatey Stout to warm my insides.

After looking up for recipes and tweaking it on BeerSmith this is what i came up with:

0.5 Kg (10 lbs) Pale Malt (5-7EBC)
0.9 Kg (2 lbs) Flaked Oats
0.5 Kg (1.1 lbs) Caramunich 1 (80-100EBC)
0.5 Kg (1.1 lbs) Carafa 1 (800-1000EBC)

25 g (0.8 oz) EKG (60 min)
25 g (0.8 oz) Northern Brewer (60 min)
25 g (0.5 oz) EKG (5 min)

S-04 as Yeast.

My local Homebrew shop carries mostly Weyermann grain.

Any thoughs on this recipe?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about this one. It should be smooth and have a nice oaty aroma with 14% oats, and the level of crystal is okay, but I wonder if there is not enough roast character. You could easily replace the Carafa I entirely with roasted barley. If you're not too sure about that, then split the difference between those two grains.

Can't tell what IBU you're going for, but aim for a BU/GU ratio in the 0.6 range.

I was aiming for something more on the chocolate side (maybe even add some cocoa nibs to the fermenter), but splitting between Carafa and roasted barley might be a good idea.

Beersmith gives me an IBU of 41, that should give a ratio of 0.57.

I usually like a nice roasty bite in my stouts, but I dialed it back for my last one. Went with 7% pale chocolate, and 3.5% roasted barley, amongst other specialty grains. Multiple people have said it has a bit of a chocolately character, without me planting the suggestion in their head.

Agree that you need at least SOME roasted barley in there to call it a stout. If you want chocolate flavor, I recommend medium chocolate malt too (350 SRM) or Pale Chocolate Malt (225 SRM), or you can add actual chocolate.

If you don't want a super roasty bite, you can cold soak your crushed roasted barley in about 2 quarts of water for 24 hours, and then add that to the end of your mash. It makes a nice smooth roast flavor without the acidic bite or ashey taste

Alright, you guys convinced me to add some roasted barley.

Unfortunaly my LHBS doesn't have any medium chocolate malt, only Carafa 1 and others with higher SRM.

So I was thinking of adding 0,10 Kg (0,2 lbs) of Roasted Barley (1200 EBC) and lowering the Carafa 1 to 0,40 kg (0,8 lbs).

Would that be enough to add a bit of roasty bite? I didn't want to lower much of the Carafa 1 and adding the roasted barley increases my beer EBC's a lot.

I wouldn't worry about what the EBC comes out as. Its going to be black.
Weyermann make a product called chocolate wheat which is like roast barley but with wheat. It adds a very nice smooth roast flavour that sits nicely in a stout. If that is available, 3-6% is a great addition. Depending what other roast malts you have of course.

Maybe 1/2kg Cara and 1/2kg Brown malt in addition to the carafa. Would be quite malty and smooth.

Back