Stout Recipe feedback, and some advice for stocking up ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabrams86

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm making my first stout this weekend, and thought perhaps I could get some feedback on the recipe I've come up with. I'm going for a coffee stout with a little chocolate backbone. Quaffable, so not too strong, but full of flavor. I'm mostly just not sure about my ratios of roasted and flaked barley, and chocolate malt. Here's what I've got:

O.G. 1.062
IBU 47.2
SRM 40.6
Finished batch size: 5 gal

10 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
.75 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Flaked Barley
2 oz Challenger hops (60min)
American Ale Yeast

Add 1-2 pints cold brewed coffee to the secondary.

Also, I've been starting to brew more and thinking about buying my grains more in bulk (50 lb bags). Is US or UK Pale 2 Row generally a good all around base for the majority of standard styles?

Hey ....I keep a large bag of 2row pale and a Pilsner bag for base grain and if you want something to add body to any recipes ....my prefrance is to add ether Vienna or some Munich. Most of the band wagon is on to Maris otter and I MAY be on to it soon as well.:)

As for your Stout....it looks good, if you want heavy, another half LB of flaked barley or add I LB of rolled oats .
I often use rye grain or rye flakes to ad a bit of notable spice

I keep a sack of 2row, pilsner, and wheat on hand at all times in addition to 10lbs or so of rye. It all depends on your tastes though. If you are really into malty emglish stuff, some Maris Otter wouldnt hurt. I only use the pilsner for belgians

Back