Stout questions - secondary and coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartmannj

Reaction score
Hello,

My current batch is a first attempt at adding extra ingredients and secondary fermentation, and I have a few questions.
My Peace Coffee Stout (Northern Brewer extract kit) is in secondary. I racked it last night after 9 days in primary, even though fermentation seemed to have finished after about 5 days (temperature was constant in lower 70s and I used a yeast starter). After racking last night, I accidentally pushed in the bung, so to save the batch, I reracked back into my primary after dumping the trub. I'm afraid that 2 rackings within minutes of each other might have caused problems (tried my best to aerate). Also, I added coarsely ground coffee without sanitizing it. So far, my beer smells like beer, but I'd hate to wait a few more suspensful weeks just to realize I've ruined a batch.
Lastly, when it comes to bottling, I'm planning to attach a straining bag to the bottom of my cane to act as a filter to avoid bottling coffee grounds. Is this a good idea? Any other helpful suggestions for an amateur?

Thanks!

As far as racking twice, ypu shouldn't have any problems as long as you sanitized your primary. I have a three gallon fermentor that I use to make experimental batches and I often rack the beer into my carboy while I clean and sanitize my three gallon fermenter, then rack it back for secondary fermentation. If you didn't sanitize it, next time you should cause it doesn't take long for bacyeria to get into the primary after the lids off and the beers been siphoned.
as far as putting the coffee in unsanitized, that's a bad idea. Anything that is added to the secondary needs to be sanitized. I'm not saying your beer is ruined, only time will tell, but your chances of bacterial infection are certainly increased.

as far as putting the coffee in unsanitized, that's a bad idea. Anything that is added to the secondary needs to be sanitized. I'm not saying your beer is ruined, only time will tell, but your chances of bacterial infection are certainly increased.

Not sure I completely agree. While it's certainly possible to infect your batch in secondary, chances aren't super high because of the alcohol in your beer. Plus, how would you even sanitize coffee? I've added cold pressed coffee made in a sanitized growler to secondary and had no ill effects, I'm just not sure how much more sanitary you can get. You wouldn't soak the beans in starsan....

Thanks, guys.
VanHolton - that's exactly what I'm thinking. The alcohol content is somewhat high, and the coffee came in an airtight bag. The instructions didn't mention sanitizing it in any way, even though they were anal about sanitizing everything else along the way in most steps. I considered brewing it and then adding that after it cooled, but heard that was a bad idea. I also thought about dropping the beans whole into a cup of vodka for a bit, but whole-bean coffee wouldn't give the beer enough flavor.

I may be slightly off topic here, but another way to infuse coffee flavors that eliminates the worrisome secondary addition dilemma is to do a flame out cold pressed addition.

At flameout, the wort is still hot enough that I wouldn't be worried about contamination with the addition of 10-12 oz of cold pressed coffee (or whatever amount you desire).

Also, I wouldn't worry a out straining during bottling. Most solids will settle out before then, and you won't notice what doesn't. Just bottle like you normally do.

I guess I just try to minize the risk of spoiling the batch as much as possible. I would cold press it then bring the temp of the coffee up to about 150 for 10 minutes after the ground have been removed. But I'm sure it is fine most of the time if it is added without being sanitized.

Back