Stout Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmart84

Reaction score
Is it necessary to have a stout faucet on my kegerator to keg stouts or will the standard perlick faucet work fine?

A stout faucet is used for beers dispensed using Nitrogen gas (or Beer Gas Mix) to create a creamy head like what you see when you buy a Guinness at the bar.

I serve my guiness clone out of a regular perlick. The stout faucet gives a different head. To anyone that knows;

Are there any beers other than Guiness that are traditionally served from nitrogen?

I would say Stouts and Porters will benefit when served with nitrogen.

I would say Stouts and Porters will benefit when served with nitrogen.

It's a personal preference for many, myself included. I normally serve darker beers out of my stout faucet during fall and winter. I've also served a cream ale and ESB on the stout faucet - both are great on nitro.

Saranac has/had a brown ale on nitro that was really good, and I have heard of someone or some company putting an Irish red on nitro.

I think I'd try almost any style on nitro - almost. IPA, no. Same with a saison or sour.

Are there any beers other than Guiness that are traditionally served from nitrogen?

Yep, Murphy's, Boddingtons, Old Speckled Hen, Belhaven, Left Hand Milk Stout, and Young's Double Chocolate come to mind.

Saranac has/had a brown ale on nitro that was really good, and I have heard of someone or some company putting an Irish red on nitro.

I think I'd try almost any style on nitro - almost. IPA, no. Same with a saison or sour.

I've had several IPA's on nitro that were fantastic. And a few that definitely should not have been on nitro.

What's the internal difference betyween say a standard Perlick forward sealing beer faucet and a stout faucet? What do I get from a stout faucet that is lacking on a standard faucet fed from nitrogen?

Back