Stout colouration :S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak40kush

Reaction score
O.K. Im going to say that I probably am paranoid for no reason here but why not check eh?

So A stout a brewed a few days back is much lighter (colour)than it Should be. I was using an extract can and some dark DME and some x-pale DME. This Is the first time I have ever been able to get ahold of any dry malt extract (my area sucks for homebrew supplies) could have the x-pale DME been a cause for lightening the colour. I wouldn't think so cause of the dark and the extract malts being much darker.

am i just being weird for thinking this?
any help appreciated.

I've used all extra light DME before. It's probably not enough roasted malt or not long enough steeping time.

How's the stout's flavor?

well I racked it to a carboy yesterday and took a hydrometer sample and drank that for a taste test. Its a chocolate stout It was pretty good but I think some time in secondary will really give it the time it needs to harmonize all the flavors. But I am looking forward to this beer.

I've never done a chcolate stout. I don't know if the chocolate could be gving you issues.

Did you calculate a SRM? If not, I'll calculate it for you if you give me the recipe details.

Otherwise, if the flavor is good, call it a brown chocolate stout.

my Stout has 500g Dark DME, 500g x-pale DME, 1 can morgans dockside stout, I dont have a scale to weigh out exact amounts of grain I toasted up myself but I recoreded 2 cups toasted Oat, and 1 cup Barley. Comparing the cocoa powder to other recipies I was on the light side I use only 50g.

The funny thing was when I was out driving today That was the exact name I had in mind.

Without the grains, your SRM is about 16L, you only need to get to 22L for a brown oatmeal stout. It won't get to being black until it gets near 30L.

If I guess your barley was 100 grams and oats were 200 grams, then you didn't have enough roasted grains to get the darker color. If you had 200 grams barley and 400 grams oats, then your home roasting didn't get them dark enough.

Yeah, maybe just call it a heavy brown ale. Or Dark Brown. Or brown ale.

It's beer and if it doesn't fit into what you had thought it was going to... call it something else. Maybe you've created a new style. :D

Either way once it ages a little bit longer and clears up just a tad more (got some haze cause of the cocoa not fully settled) I think my friends will enjoy this beer, if they dont sod em more for me!

Latest posts

Back