Stout 12.5 vs 14.5 conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTRyan

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a new conical, either a 12.5 or a 14.5 from Stout Tanks and Kettles. Now I already own a 7 gallon blichman, and a few buddies and I share two 27 gallon blichman. Now I'm looking for something to do 10 gallon batches at my home (the 27 gallon fermenters are at my friends house 65 miles away from me.)

I'm looking for simple and cheap, the blichman's are great but there are so many little parts, fittings, and gaskets that I don't want to deal with on solo brews.

The 12.5 from Stout is a great price, but I'm afraid I'm going to hate the lid. Can anyone out there that owns one of these fermenters give your personal likes and dislikes on them?

12g-fermenter-176-cf12-800-02.jpg

15g-fermenter-cf15tw-sh-800-01.jpg

those the lids you're referring to, right?

I've never had to deal with the 14.5, but i've had the opportunity to brew with someone that had the 12.5g style.
honestly... i'd say it depends on how much you brew, 'cuz the 2 silicone gaskets (one on the lid and one on the conical itself) would be a pain because you need to clean both of them off and sanitize them... but other than that little aspect? cleaning took almost no time at all..
took off both triclovers, rinsed out the conical, srubbed down parts and put it back together... i'd say cleaning and putting back together took a matter of 7 minutes?
hopefully that helps :)

Thanks for the info, it definitely helps. I didn't realize that the 12.5 had a double gasket to seal the lid. I'm leaning more and more towards the 14.5, it just seems like a better more secure design.

Did you pull the trigger on the 14.5? The 12.5 lid is u-g-l-y (it ain't got no alibi - it's UGLY).

If so, looking for your thoughts on it.

I did, I went with the 14.5 with the 3" tri-clamp port in the lid. Should ship in June can't wait. I'll throw up a detailed review when it comes in.

Back