Storing spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavingman

Reaction score
Any tips on storing spent grains for a few months?
My mom is visiting in a month and she is bringing out a breadmaker for me that she no longer uses. I plan on using one of the spent grain recipes, but until then I need to figure out how to store the grains so they dont get moldy or wierd. any ideas? freezing perhaps?

This is interesting. Being a noob, accept my dumb question accordantly:
Can you make 'porridge' out of the spent grains? Like oatmeal?

My last batch I made dog treats out of 1/2 and froze 1/2. When I had time I thawed the second 1/2 and made more dog treats. Worked just fine.

Yep, freezing them right out of the mashtun will work just fine. Just don't ever thaw them out until you need them. Especially don't let them bake in the hot sun for a week while your mashtun sits outside because you thought it was clean, but it wasn't.

Not that I've done that, or anything.

This is interesting. Being a noob, accept my dumb question accordantly:
Can you make 'porridge' out of the spent grains? Like oatmeal?

About 90 percent of the goodness is washed away when steeping/mashing/sparging.
What's left is rather bland. And the husks give it a rough texture.

For every batch of homebrew, I scoop out four 1.5 cup scoops of spent grain & put each in a small ziploc & pop em in the freezer.

I use each as an addition to the typical bread recipe. The grain adds tons of texture and flavor (and fiber) to the bread. But like egolla pointed out, there's not enough nutrition left to use only the spent grain for the bread.

Half the fun is using different beer recipe grains. Bread with stout grain is different from bread from a pilsener, but both are great.

How do you make dogs treats out of the extras? I'm ordering my first PM kit this coming friday (10% of @ AHS) and have 4x dogs. I have one dog who actually loves beer. You have to watch her or she will knock yours over and star drinking it.

I freeze a couple ziploc bags full for future dog treats/bread recipies. I also scoop a huge bowl full and stick it in the fridge for immedeate use (over a week or so). the frozen keeps quite well, I just break off a chunk and defrost it when I want to use it.

Back