Storing razor blades in alcohol to make them last 4 or 5 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
About a year ago, a friend of mine that shaves his whole body told be a story about getting 4-5 months out of a normal razor. I was right; I get lucky to get 4 or 5 days out of a razor. Well what he does is take a small plastic juice cup and fill it up about half way with rubbing alcohol, storing the razor in the cup. What this does is pre-vent the micro rusting, which then the blades stay sharp for the 4 to 5 month time frame. And it really works; I have been using the same blade now for 3 months, just as sharp as the day I took it out of the package. I know it is the one of the weirdest things that you have heard, I told my father about this too, he didn’t believe me so I went out and bought him some alcohol just to make him a believer. ;)

Hmmm...don't have rubbing alcohol, but have a 10% tripel; think that'd work just as well?

Interesting.

I get like a half a shave out of a razor. Of course I am lazy and only shave when I look like a bum.

I always dry mine on a towel after use and get about 2 months out of one blade. I imagine storing them in alcohol is even better.
Makes sense.

I spend ten cents on a blade and get four shaves out of it and toss it without a care in the world. See the wet shaving thread ;)

Stropping the cheap blades can extend their life and make for more pleasant shaves, too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one curious as to why the OP's friend shaves his whole body?

Well rubbing alcohol is miscible with water (they can be mixed in any ratio) so it really won't prevent rust at all. Drug store rubbing alcohol is like 70% to 90% isopropanol and the rest is water. So it's still sitting in water

Letting the blade dry would probably prevent rust better but the blade is dulling on the hair.

Switching to a double-edge razor is the best bet. Blades are cheaper and last just as long

Latest posts

Back