Storing ingredients for a week or so

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennychico11

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of ingredients coming tomorrow that I will make a couple batches out of. I'm going out of town this weekend and after I brew my first one, I'll have to wait a week or so until I'm able to move it into my secondary so I can brew my next batch. I just wanted to verify that I store my ingredients properly so they don't go bad in the meantime:

Hops: freezer
Yeast: fridge
Milled grain: cool, dry and dark place (basement)

yah?

Sounds good.

Make sure the grain is in a sealed container if you have the potential of rodents in the basement.

If you are using liquid yeast, keep it in the fridge. The other stuff will be just fine a week or two just sitting on the counter in the house. You could keep the hops in the fridge to. No need to fret a couple weeks. It will all be good. Now if you were talking a couple months or more, that is a different story.

I'm glad people posted this. I'm going to be brewing my first batch in about 2 weeks, and I was wondering how early I should order my ingredients. I'm getting antsy and want to order, but I'm trying to be patient so that I don't have to store everything. I guess sometime next week would be a good time to order?

Maybe I got lucky, but my girlfriend bought me a very nice homebrew kit complete with ingredients for my first batch. When I got it we had just bought a house and had a very new baby at the time so time to brew did not even exist for me. It got put in my attic and stayed there for a year and the White Labs liquid yeast was put in a fridge in the garage. When I finally got the time to brew I used all of the ingredients except for the yeast (bought a fresh tube) and the beer turned out fantastic.

I would say that as long as it's boxed up and kept from extremes of heat or cold, it should be fine. Mine came out just great. I wouldn't do it again, but it didn't seem to hurt the beer.

LME shouldn't be kept in a fridge unless it's sealed iirc, as fridges harbor lots of germs and are damp - not good stuff! If it's an open can, make sure you do your best to keep it sealed - cling film I suppose - if it's closed, I'm not sure there's much benefit to be gained from the fridge? Not sure about this though.

As an aside, this is kinda one of the reasons I switched to partial mashing - I use whole tins of LME and then get the rest from grain - I don't yet have a boiler big enough for a full boil, nor a mash tun, so I go for the Deathbrewer stovetop method. Legend.

well, the LME is sealed in the buckets AHB sends them in. I'm assuming they are air tight. I just stored them in the basement on a shelf though.
I wasn't sure if the bags they grain came in were trustworthy enough...so actually put them in one of my fermenting buckets and sealed the lid on it so it's air tight.

I'll brew a batch Sunday probably when I get back in town!

Back