storing in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
Ok now I'm the point that I have the pipeline going, (I just stopped inviting friends to watch the NHL playoff game during the week:D) Just to make sure I got it right, when a brew is ready, I can just put it in the keg, purge it and store it in the basement (it's about 68*f in there) and when 1 is kicked just take one in the basement put it on gasin the keezer and wait a couple days till it's ready? Thx in advance.

Almost right. The issue is the time it takes to carb up to serving pressure and time required to chill down to serving temperature.

If you have the capability/capacity it will work better if you can rack the beer to the keg, add serving pressure co2 (10-12 psi) and then store it where it will chill down to and hold serving temperature as well. Cold beer takes up the co2 much faster than warm and the beer will do well to have several days at colder temperatures to cold crash and allow the chill haze proteins to drop out. It also takes at least a week or two to completely carbonate unless you force carb. Although force carbing the beer can work it is not as predictable and controllable as a chill it - set it- forget it carbonation at serving pressures.

What you propose is just fine. I hate naturally carbing my kegs. But that's a personal preference. Eventually, I would look into getting another CO2 tank and reg. Then you can carb your beers in the basement. You'll have to use a higher pressure because of the increase in temperature, but the added benefit will be no more need to 'burst' carb your beers. You'll be able to set the reg and walk away. Come back a couple of weeks later when you need the keg and all you'll have to do is chill. I have a charging station in the basement with a spider web of CO2 hoses. Works like a charm.

2011-12-30_17-25-51_932.jpg

What you propose is just fine. I hate naturally carbing my kegs. But that's a personal preference. Eventually, I would look into getting another CO2 tank and reg. Then you can carb your beers in the basement. You'll have to use a higher pressure because of the increase in temperature, but the added benefit will be no more need to 'burst' carb your beers. You'll be able to set the reg and walk away. Come back a couple of weeks later when you need the keg and all you'll have to do is chill. I have a charging station in the basement with a spider web of CO2 hoses. Works like a charm.

why the dislike for natural carbonation? I love it. Just curious

Some say you need less sugar to carb a keg than to fully carb ~48 bottles. Which can either overcarb your beer or under carb it while leaving it sweet with the unfermented sugars.

Also if i brew a 9-10% DIPA, the last thing i want to do is dose extra sugar in the keg and wait for it to carb up, IF it does at the higher ABV.

Some say you need less sugar to carb a keg than to fully carb ~48 bottles. Which can either overcarb your beer or under carb it while leaving it sweet with the unfermented sugars.

Also if i brew a 9-10% DIPA, the last thing i want to do is dose extra sugar in the keg and wait for it to carb up, IF it does at the higher ABV.

Yeah the only beers I naturally carb now are the ones I plan on aging in the keg.

For me one of the reasons I keg is because I like clear beer. Three or more weeks in the fermenter and then carefully rack to the keg......to just dump in some sugar and make it ferment and get cloudy again just doesn't make sense for me. Yes it will settle out with time, but when you move the keg to the kegger, there's another week or so to clear. Bump the damn keg in the kegger....well there's more time to wait. Hey, naturally carbing works great, but for me force carbing is more efficient, easy, and gives me that clear beer I want all through the kegging process. :mug:

I think I'm going to go with Hammy71. I have 2 CO2 tank, but will get another one (I want to always have a full spare one for the keezer) and will get another regulator. I already have a 4 way manifold.

Back